Alternators

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had the old externally regulated alternator in when i got my truck.
now i have a 3g.
has anyone seen a true 1 wire alternator for our trucks?
i have a serp system.
i want an alternator that is a true 1 wire operation.

what options do i have besides a GM style?
which i would obviously have to make some brackets.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought one once aftermarket. Biggest issue it didn't charge at idle. Above 1200 or so it charged

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 3g one wire is not a good conversion, It works really well and is only 2 wire anyway. Also, the delco will not hold up on the diesels as well. the drive end bearing is not as wide I have been told.

Ifyou want a 1 wire pad mount look at a big truck delco, giant bearings and easy 200 amps with the right unit.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have a true one wire, got ti from starters-alternators on ebay. had it built to 150 amps. was for a mustang v6, 94-98 year i believe.
Just hook up battery cable to it and thats it. turns on at 1100-1200rpm I think, and charges fine down at idle, as long as u rev it up enough to get it to energise. had em put on a double v belt pulley, 1 yr warranty, was 130ish i think $$

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Biggest question is why? 3g is a good design. A second wire to key on +12v and ideally a third for reference voltage going to battery or distribution point (can be run bundled with your charge cable) is really not a big deal compared to the advantages of a 3g.

If you want a true 1 wire alternator you could run a 10si. Not as nice of a design, but will bolt up anywhere a 1g/2g/3g and most other standard alternators. I run a 1 wire 105 amp 10si in my boat. It was cheap, it just works, and charges much better than the old 51 amp Prestolite that was on the fritz. Yeah 105 amp is pushing a lot from an old design in a small case, but I don't run it hard continuously. Just a regular stereo head unit, no amps/subs so after sitting a few hours it's not recharging a large bank that's totally discharged. I do have seat furnaces and a heater with two large blower motors, that's about the largest continuous load it'll see. It was the most cost effective roughly 100 amp marine rated alternator I could find. Anyhow, I would not do a 10si on my truck unless I was in a pinch, as the 3g is a good alt and readily available anywhere.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im going for a super clean engine compartment, something most people dont really care about, but it is important to me.

with my aftermarket wiring harness, along with the many other ive done, its alot cleaner when all you gotta do is run a 6-8ga wire to the 12V+

i do run 2 amplifiers for a total of 1200 W.
i will be running on board air, and a triple group 31 set up.
the third battery will be for emergency, and camping.

i plan on taking this truck up the coast and doing alot of beach camping.

perhaps im just getting old and set in my ways of 1 wire operation alternators..lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with my aftermarket wiring harness, along with the many other ive done, its alot cleaner when all you gotta do is run a 6-8ga wire to the 12V+

i do run 2 amplifiers for a total of 1200 W.
i will be running on board air, and a triple group 31 set up.
the third battery will be for emergency, and camping.

i plan on taking this truck up the coast and doing alot of beach camping.

perhaps im just getting old and set in my ways of 1 wire operation alternators..lol

LMAO 6-8 gua...

I run a 2/0 and 200 amp fuse lol

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
^ What he said. 4ga is absolute minimum if running a "high amp" alternator, meaning ~100+ amps. 2/0 probably overkill, but I'm closer to the overkill camp... Overkill sized charge wire is extremely important when running a 1 wire, to minimize drop from where your sensing voltage to where you're tapping for load.

If you're just gonna run a old style low output alt in the 40-65 amp range then 6-8 is probably fine but I would go up a couple sizes if doing 1 wire, to minimize voltage drop.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
were not transmitting 100 amps over 50' like a welder would,
realistically, 10gauge would even be fine for a 3' section according to this and ma ny other charts. that beign said, I do have 4awg on mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ What he said. 4ga is absolute minimum if running a "high amp" alternator, meaning ~100+ amps. 2/0 probably overkill, but I'm closer to the overkill camp... Overkill sized charge wire is extremely important when running a 1 wire, to minimize drop from where your sensing voltage to where you're tapping for load.

If you're just gonna run a old style low output alt in the 40-65 amp range then 6-8 is probably fine but I would go up a couple sizes if doing 1 wire, to minimize voltage drop.

My 3G is a Power Master 250 amp model.

I also run a GROUND cable directly from battery to case mount as well 2/0

Try running a winch and lights wipers heater and...i dont shut ***** off...no need....funny part is I am trying figure out how to add a second 3g for back up battery or maybe a 1g unregulated to see how it does as welder.......could test that simple enough lol

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I have a true one wire, got ti from starters-alternators on ebay. had it built to 150 amps. was for a mustang v6, 94-98 year i believe.
Just hook up battery cable to it and thats it. turns on at 1100-1200rpm I think, and charges fine down at idle, as long as u rev it up enough to get it to energise. had em put on a double v belt pulley, 1 yr warranty, was 130ish i think $$

good to know. Some of the early ones would drain the batteries.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to note: although AWG8 is enough for the charge current, a 1-wire
alternator needs much larger cable. The voltage sensing is done inside the
alternator on those, and will not read battery condition well with smaller wire.
A separate ground is good, but not necessary if the block is well grounded.

I use a 200A Leece-Neville 1-wire on the C70, but it has 2/0 cabling.
One group 31, one 8D, and two 27's (just because I had them).

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
update:
after some extensive research, and a lengthy discussion with tech support of Powermaster.
I found what I was looking for.
this alternator is $359.00
but, powermaster starters or alternators have never failed me.
I purchased a 200A 1 wire direct bolt on alternator with the correct pulley and correct mounting.
powermaster PN 477681
to have a black finish, I ordered PN 577681.

93-94.5 7.3 200A alternator with a 1 wire operation.

expensive, yes. but the look and operation will do me good.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im taking your guys recommendation most likely 2 ga

the numbver i spat out earlier was for 60-80A alternators.

you guys are right the larger amperage needs the larger wire.

no such thing as overkill in this situation.
oah yea and a separate ground clamp will be used.