Alternator question

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Having a bit of alternator trouble on my trip

I'm in okc now.

Got in the toaster to grab a bite to eat. Unit wasn't charging.

Check connections came back and checked and it was charging.

Drove always and had it idling and charging fine. When to move and noticed it wasn't charging again. Drove to a parking spot and it started charging.

I think it's the plug. Fits kinda loose. Maybe the wire connector is loose?

I only have one Wire. Looks like a 100 amp unit. Wire is located in the front part of the plug. Can't seem to get the plug out.

Is it the field wire that runs into the plug ? Appears internally regulated.
You must be registered for see images

Challenges are what makes life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Not sure but I know 2g alternators are notorious for burning up the plug and wiring. If you jump +12v to field it should go full charge and put out around 17v, don't leave it that way but it can help in a pinch to stay charged. Would be a pain to do a 3g swap on the road but it's a relatively simple swap.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually the 100 amp units are externally regulated. Look over on the pass side in all that mess on the inner fender and see if you can find the silver box that is the regulator.

I am surprised you only have one wire, usually the stator connection is hooked up also. Besides loose connections, worn brushes can also cause intermittent charging.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually the 100 amp units are externally regulated. Look over on the pass side in all that mess on the inner fender and see if you can find the silver box that is the regulator.

I am surprised you only have one wire, usually the stator connection is hooked up also. Besides loose connections, worn brushes can also cause intermittent charging.

The external regulator is in front of the passenger side battery above the headlight....or at least that is where it is on my '88 e250.

Do you have the v-belt set up? If so, how does your belt look? I had a couple of bad belts that would act similar to what you say. It would be charging okay at idle, but would start slipping when there was any real load or rpm. Funny thing is that the belt did not squeal at all, it just slipped no matter how much tension was on the belt. I went ahead and purchased a high dollar belt from NAPA and I haven't had an issue since. Not sure if that is your issue, but maybe worth a look.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Full fielded the alternator this am. Started charging. Went and pick ed up a regulator plugged it in. Nothing

Scratched my head and said start with the basics. Touched the drivers side pos batt terminal and it started charging. It was tight but I cleaned and re tightened it and it's fine now. Weird. But I'm back on the road.
Always thought it was internally regulated. Never looked for a regulator. Learned something new !

Thanks!

Challenges are what makes life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
My regulator is getting warm when the they is off. I'm not sure if it drawing current but I assume so. Any thoughts

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Definetly draining the battery. Nearly completely dead today.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brothers truck did the same thing. It ended up being a diode on the back of the alternator letting the power go both ways. It was a 302 so not sure how different the alternators are though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
My brothers truck did the same thing. It ended up being a diode on the back of the alternator letting the power go both ways. It was a 302 so not sure how different the alternators are though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Makes some sense. Funds are low right now. Not sure I can swing buying an alternator.
Maybe I can find a diode.

Charging the batteries up with a manual charger today. I found a short in the dome lamp circuit. Pulled the fuse and most of the draw I had went away. Still have a slight spark when I connect the batteries. Very slight.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Disconnected the field wire when the battery was still hooked up. Big spark. Looks like a diodes bad

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where you gonne be for a while, I can ship you an alternator that is very good.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Where you gonne be for a while, I can ship you an alternator that is very good.

Typ4

Bought one today. Old one tested bad. 12 amps and 8 volts

Still has a draw through the field wire.

At least it's charging right now.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 90 e350 7.3 ?

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Think I found a diagram that's resembles my truck

My ign switch wire to the regulator is working correctly

My field wire is properly connected to the field terminal on the alternator

My yellow wire is actually blue and yellow and does have continuity to the batt terminal on the alternator but it also has a second wire connected to it at the regulator that runs down to a condenser bolted to the bottom of the regulator.

I'm assuming it's a condenser. Still have a heavy draw when the regulator is plugged in.
I have had this draw with both new regulators and the new alternator.
I dont have it with my old regulator but the old regulator will not allow the alternator to charge.

I think I've hurt the batteries as well.
You must be registered for see images
T

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance