Alright...my turn

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that is a lot of mocking up on that setup man. I think I am just going to use a pulley that is stacked off the crank pulley. It won't be as clean looking as your setup but hopefully will be a lil easier. I will just have to stack a serpentine type pulley on my V-belt pulley and make sure it is balanced. I obviously will have to put on electric fans but hopefully it will work out...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
This is so cool. Let me know if you need any parts I might have.

I am looking forward to hearing how this helps power.

Good job so far. ;Sweet

Got a ZF lying around?LOL

I actually thought I was going to run it piggy back with the serp setup, but decided against it (again for the room). You will still have to run at least an idler and tensioner for that. The best is for the tensioner to be an automatic one. Usually they have less tension than what people uaved for the manual ones, and that will help save your weld on the pullies and your bearings in the accessories.

In fact, the way that I would do it if I had a 112 would be to put the thing on a plate just like the guy had it on that older (whatever that late 70s guy had) Ford that we can only seem to get pictures of.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a ZF lying around?LOL

I actually thought I was going to run it piggy back with the serp setup, but decided against it (again for the room). You will still have to run at least an idler and tensioner for that. The best is for the tensioner to be an automatic one. Usually they have less tension than what people uaved for the manual ones, and that will help save your weld on the pullies and your bearings in the accessories.

In fact, the way that I would do it if I had a 112 would be to put the thing on a plate just like the guy had it on that older (whatever that late 70s guy had) Ford that we can only seem to get pictures of.

SWS

Where can I get an automatic tensioner from? I know I need one but am not quite sure how I want to do it yet. Also, my setup will essentially mount straight over the crank. So, it shouldn't be too hard to do I hope. :dunno

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Anything that has a serp belt that was built after like 90 is going to have an automatic tensioner. You will need some sort of mount to move an idler and the tensioner out in front of the water pump. You will also need one with outer ribs on it if you are going to put them on the inside of the belt. Unless you can get it 100% lazer light straight, it will walk off if there is nothing to hold the ribs there. You MAY run into problems with the belt wrap and the SC if you move the pullies too far out. Im tellin you, I would try to set it up to use the factory belt routing if it was me, it is hard to reengineer some stuff. I have had enough experience making, modding, and fixing other peoples stuff to know what I am looking at. The problem with my stuff is that I cut it with a grinder and have to weld it in the wind at times. Also, I have had to tell my kids they are no longer allowed in the garage because the liner of my welder is in need of replacement. I am not sure if it is just the fact that it is probably 15+ years old. So, if you have too tight of a bend, it will be choppy as it comes out.

It is hard to beat factory stuff...TRUST ME.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I would use the factory setup. Mine is all V-belts at this point and I don't have the money to convert it over. So that's why I'm thinking about stacking a pulley on the crank and run it off that. I'm just hoping it works.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
It will be cheaper for you (definately time wise) to convert to a serp setup.

I ran into a snag tonight. From the top of the idler plate, I put a bolt between that and the blower. I used only my freakish hillbilly (coined by my buddy Scotty) strength to put tension on the tensioner. It moved. WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too much for comfort. 4 pullies moving is way, way, way too much movement for something that is going to take more power to spin as the RPM increases. I would be one clutch away from losing the belt. So...I am going to make another bracket to go from the double hole at the bottom of the plate that mounts to the bottom of the alt. I am going to weld that to the fuel filter head plate (that is now the blower mount) and have it bolt to the dual hole at the rear. That should strengthen the alt. Then, I am either going to put angle iron on all corners and sides, or make it out of a single piece of 3/8" instead of the 1/4" that it is. As I held the plate with the idlers on it in my hands, I can bend it. Way (I say that a lot in this post) to easy for my liking. So, if you look at the earlier pictures, you can see the two mounts (consisting of two holes each) that are each weak by themselves. I am going to make them out of angle iron to give that part strength. Not the cool factory look I was going for, but close. I am going to stitch it with angle iron and see how strong that make it. If that does not do it, I will have to spend money for a plate. After that, I will see how strong it is. If I am not satisfied then, I will try to find other places to add support agians the block/head to make it imobile. It can NOT move as much as it has. I am not that worried about 1/16" at the nose, but want 0 movment.

I also have to go to the boneyard and get a new AC/blower housing. My combo of new outside (inside was chewed up by fuzzies) and old inside (outside broke from old age) fell apart. I want to have it hot in the winter and cool in the summer. I am going to make rear heat as well, but that is for the years to come.

More as it comes.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think timewise the way I have it set up will be shorter for me to just do a separate serpentine belt but I guess I'll see when I start. Lol. Also when you start on your new setup post some pics. :)

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Got some pix yesterday of the two plates lying on top of eachother. Then I got some of the drawn out revision. Took it to Scotty, got it back last night. Should have a pic or two today, but after today, I will not be able to post pix or vids because my computer is going back to Compaq. It has a problem with the screen and charging system. So...I will have them saved on my phone (I am anticipating about a month) and then I will have to play catch up.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will look forward to the pics after you get it back then. But keep the updates coming anyway and I hope it gets easier to get those tensioners mounted.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I have been strengthening the blower mount and am going to add a pair of 1/4" plates to it. I will have to have a hole cut to allow the alt mount to go through the plate becasue that will offset the belt. After that is cut, I am going to triangulate the front and rear mount on the pass side and that SHOULD be good enough. I will no doubt have to add a rear mount on that side and will have to drop all the way to the exhaust manifold to get one. But, if I have to, then so be it. As long as when I get this done then there are no more surprises until it warms up again I will be good ta go.

I got the front plate drilled and mocked up. Looks good and should be able to support the idlers with no flex. They have shoulders so I am not too worried. Its the alt and blower that have my concerns. For the alt, I plan on dropping the support plate (mentioned above that will have the hole cut for the alt mount) to be able to attach to the rear of the alt mount. With that, it should not move enough to throw the belt.

After I get it running with boost, I am going to start on making mods so I can change and update the blower. I am going to start with the later blower which is 5% bigger on the inlet side. After that, I am going to mod the inlet on the old style to a huge opening and have the outlet ported to give it max airflow. With that, I will have to OD the blower to maximize the low end power and hopefully give it that off idle umph I need with the taller tires and 3.5 gears.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you overdrive the blower, won't it make too much up top? Also, what size of tire are you running?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Don't know. I want to make the blower wind up at a lower engine speed to increase the boost at lower RPMs.

Here are the last few pix I uploaded...

Difference in thicknesses
You must be registered for see images attach

Not too bad for a template.

This is the wider, thicker, heavier piece that will work right.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the overspeeding thing, I was thinking that if is pushing quite a bit of boost down low that it might be too much up top. If it is pushing to much up top won't it superheat the air quite a bit? If that is the case, you might need a way to cool the boost. Maybe water/methanol or even an intercooler down the line?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yep...but it depends on the temps. I have nothing I can gauge it against at this time so that is why I am going to keep it at the speed I have currently. Now, what I HOPE to happen, is the engine will continue to use the boost at the same rate it is created when this setup is done. IE 1psi at idle, 7psi at cruise, maybe 10 at full throttle. Remember, no idea what it is going to be, these are just iffy numbers that may happen. Now, with that, I will turn the other blower the same at first, to see probably just over 1 at idle because there will be less restriction. So with that, 10 at cruise and 15 at max. OD it a bit and hopefully, will see 3 at idle, 15 at cruise and maybe 18 or so at max. I am not that concerned about full throttle, because I am not going to play there a lot...and when I do go there, it will be for only short times. None the less, when I start to get the 10+ psi on a regualr basis, I will have to get an IC. No biggie, I will spin the hat around to exit on the pass side (blower) and run an IC tube down next to the rad. Probably will do a dual IC from a supercoupe with a 3" inlet and outlet there and run the tube across in front of the rad and out the driver's side where it will go up the side, across the A/C compressor, and into the pre-existing inlet to the intake I am working to make now.

I had to think about this (and still am) because I DO want to have 10psi at my disposal at any given point. With that, I know it will build boost as you step into it. Not my first boosted vehicle. BUT, with the cfm's being relatively the same as the SC, I am hoping the way it uses the boost will be the same as well. I like the instant boost over what I have seen out of smaller turbos.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like your target boost levels. It really should make some decent power. I think a supercoupe type intercooler would work extremely well with it too. Especially if you are hitting 10psi consistently.

I also had a thought. When youget it done, you need to make a new thread saying that you finished your SC. I don't think many guys know bout what you are doing. Know what I mean? Its just hard to know by the title on this thread I guess. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online