Alot of cooling system problems...

Meta6981

Reaction score
Well to start i will go with some history on what has occured thus far. About a month ago my SD started to act up on the heat end she was getting up to about 100-110C on the stock temp gauge and with that i discovered that the waterpump was dead and also that the thermostat was stuck closed. So New water pump , new thermostat. No problems untill earlier this week temps started to rise up again to about the same range upon whereas revving the engine at the light would drop it back down. OK. This thursday i got to my site at work and was about 45 min early and the temps had gotten up again right before pulling into the lot. Ok pop the hood looking see coolent around the top of the rad and it appears that the fluid was dropping again from the water pump again. Upon further investigation i saw that the upper hose was leaking and this was dripping the coolent al over the place. I am thinking problem solved. So i wait untill the engine cools off crack the top hose off to refill and take a closer look... The piece that the hose clamps around was snapped into two large pieces. Great i am at work and i have to get this car home. So i called the warden and he said i should loosen the cap so no pressure builds up and makes the top hose blow off. On my way home which was in two legs had another stop to make i made the first leg no problem she dumped a little coolent at the stop so i topped her off and headed for home get back on the 280 from bird ave, temps are looking good hit the 17-280 interchange and get over the top of that and boom temps shoot up... Immidiately pulled her over to the shoulder and mind you this is at about 2 in the morning. So i get over and shut her down call AAA. AAA gets there in about twenty minutes Brand new peterbuilt tow truck so it was a nice ride. Oh and for humor while the driver was taken me and my car to my house he got a service call for a 2007 prius that wouldn't start... In Closeing does anybody know where the cheapest new rad would come from? I am going to look at preformance products and do a google search. thanks in advance for the time and letting me rant

Meta6981

Reaction score
update: Brother went to the j yard and got me another radiator from a 240d and it appears to be working well asdie from a slight mickey mouse i had to pull on secureing it. Otherwise the temps are holding steady at just over 80 celcius. This might be a long term temp fix untill i get enough money to buy a new rad which might be a while since work has been slashing my hours.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
www.thepartsbin.com usually has pretty good prices on new high quality radiators for those things. I got one for an'82 sd a couple of years back pretty reasonable.

Might want to consider running Evans waterless coolant and a zero pressure system on that thing. Takes all the pressure stress off the parts and with a 375 deg boiling point, takes the worry out of that wimpy MB diesel cooling system.
I put a 9 blade fan off a later model that helped some too.

------Robert

Meta6981

Reaction score
Hmm a waterless cooling system?!? had not heard of that but thanks i will look into it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
www.evanscooling.com
It costs a bunch, but I look at it as cheap insurance.
Just today on one of my Volvo diesels, either the fan clutch or thermostat ( both with less than 8k miles on them -cuss that will teach me to buy parts locally instead of ordering the good ones) started geting buggy and the temp gauge was intermittantly swinging hard to the right. I wasn't even concerned, I just drove home. No problems. I've got one a lot hotter than that ( hot enough under hood temps to melt the clips off of the air filter box )with the Evans in it and no problems to the engine.

---------Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online