Allison AT 545 Auto???

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning all. Has anyone attempted a "performance" build on an Allison 545 tranny? I've got these in several trucks, they seem to be bullet proof, but they're horrible "slushboxes", most of the time it's hard to tell when it's shifting! Wouldn't one of these be a good HD alternative if someone could make them shift or a more positive converter?

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only read of one hopped up AT545 guy used it in sled pulling he had some custom work done on the valve body and had a custom converter made for it. No real details of where he got the converter from or what exactly he did to the valve body. I'll see if I can did up a link.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showpost.php?p=2095596&postcount=12

Looks like Suncoast makes some converters for the newer AT545s

Last edited:

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent found any info on mods to the AT 545 But I am getting info on the parts I need to conect a 7.3 to a allison in my MH. I have talked to a Guy that drag races a dodge truck with a 750 hp 12valve and a AT 545 and he says thay are under rated on the power they will take. He likes the slushy shifts because it alows the engine to rev and the torq converter keeps it from breaking loose the tires. He built his own trans brake to get it to launch. I am not sure how he did it, and he won't say. I dont Know how much power it will take but its rated for 235HP and 475Torq at 30,000lbs My MH is about 20,000 so I think I can get away with 275HP and 550Torq (at the crank) The only thing I dont like is they dont lock the converter in the AT 545 so its not the best for long cruse MPG because of trans road speed loss to the unlocked converter. But thats what came in the MH so I will live with it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some of the valve bodies I have worked on can be adjusted to shift hard enough to break things, we had them in pushbacks and there is a little ramped plunger that is adjustable.

I know a guy in chicago with a valve body dyno if you want some custom work.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've seen a few tranny supply places selling low stall torque converters for diesels for the things that have supposedly been optimised for fuel mileage

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
You can go up to a MT643 to handle a little more power, there are some mods for them but not much. I have heard the MT643 will come apart internally and still continue to function till it completely blows apart. You can always go with an MD3060. I have one with the computer but needs a rebuild for $1000. Or an AT1545 which is what the military M35A3 deuces have in them behind the cat and the M900s run behind an 8.3. When you get into allison though you are paying for the name.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my quest to find a good tranny to bolt up behind the DT360 that I eventually want to shoe horn into my truck, I've done quite a bit of research on the Allison tranny's and came up with a little info on them.
Many people have bad things to say about them, but I tend to think they would work quite well in a pickup if setup correctly. And seing how my truck / 5er combination is about the same size/weight of a 72 passenger school bus, the trans should survive just fine. This is all info off of the top of my head compiled from hours of internet searching, so I can't say it's 100% accurate; anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The biggest downfall to the lot of them is no over drive.

4wd application would require a divorced transfer case.

There's 2 series of mechanical Allisons: the MT series and the AT series.

The AT's include the 540, 542, and 545. They have 4 forward gears.
540 and 542 were the earlier versions: basically the same as the 545 but with a smaller oil pan. The earlier versions all came with the same converter that was more for gasser applications, the later had 2 converters to choose from; 1 for gassers, 1 for diesels. The one for diesels is still really loose, and the lack of lockup on the converter means you pretty much run the engine to the governor and it just stays there. The fix to this is would be a tighter converter; Suncoast is the only place I have found that has any kind of aftermarket converter and cost is somewhere around $500. I've read several places that the shifts can easily be firmed up as Russ stated by adjustments in or behind the valve body; done by trial and error (and dropping the pan for every try), you can easily adjust the shift firmness right to the point that it spits the driveline out from under the truck.

I found one guy with a 12v Cummins pulling truck that ran a 545 and really liked it. He had some kind of aftermarket converter and a home made manual valve body. It was still good for highway travel with 38" tires. But the pulling organization ended up outlawing the tranny, so he changed to something else.

I've heard that the rare 1545 from military vehicles actually has a lockup converter but are hard as hell to find - Simp5782 has one.

I've seen them on CL for as little as $200, and as much as $1500 for one that was supposedly recently rebuilt. They are cheap and plentiful.

The MT series (like a 643) have some extra features over the AT series, but are bigger and a couple hundred pounds heavier. These guys do have a lock up torque converter. They have more torque capacity, some have a 5th forward gear. The extra gear is an extra box hanging off the ass end of the tranny that can only be shifted into manually - and they don't shift very smooth out of the low gear. In a pickup application, the low gear has a steep enough gear reduction it would be useless. The other cool feature is some can be found with a retarder bolted to the output of the tranny.

I've seen these on CL for $500 to $1500. Once again, somewhat cheap and plentiful.

Go to this web page and you can download a whole bunch of info on them direct from Allison

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I have 6 1545s and I am giving them away at $2000each shipped to your door. I picked up a big lot from the auctions awhile back. They are new in crate with 0 miles. The only thing you have to do it swap the fluid out in them. The military used 10w oil in them, i recommend going over to dex III.

The ATs were rated to what? 42k gvw. and the MTs were good for up to 72k or something along those lines.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Allison AT 545 behind a DT466 in my bus. What a hunk of crap. It was serviced every year by the school district. I know because I have the records. You couldn't pay me to chose that trans unless it was for a specific application that didn't require a lockup converter. I know it is costing me at least 1-1.5mpg on the freeway. The max GVW is 30k from what I've read. When I replace it, a MT643 is going in. The 5 speed is a 653. From what I understand, you can only shift into 1st from a stop and the same goes for shifting out of 1st. The ratio is 8.something to 1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online