air suspension

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my plan is to use the overload helper airspring type bags on all four corners, and be able to adjust the ride height etc with the air bags.

My questions are

1. has anyone ever just taken out half or 3/4 of the stock springs out of the spring packs and put the air bags on top and use that as the suspension? Does that make sense?

This way the axle is still located and i dont have to run links etc, but still have soft, when wanted suspension and firm when needed

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can you buy the stuff to make links etc?

Every place i have seen is way overpriced

What if i run a short arm link like my f350 has that runs to the cross member?

Last edited:

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my plan is to use the overload helper airspring type bags on all four corners, and be able to adjust the ride height etc with the air bags.

My questions are

1. has anyone ever just taken out half or 3/4 of the stock springs out of the spring packs and put the air bags on top and use that as the suspension? Does that make sense?

This way the axle is still located and i dont have to run links etc, but still have soft, when wanted suspension and firm when needed

Alot of the rough ride from these trucks does not come from the springs being to stiff. Sidewall ratings and shocks play a bigger role in that. On my 79 we have been working on a 4 link setup that I can use to still tow with and it is getting difficult. Under load the chassis wants to twist and flew and even though we are using hymejoints on all of the connections I have still broken bars or bent them. This is the main reason HD towing frames and rear suspensions have stayed the same for so long, because it works with little difficulties.

If you want a softer ride get a lower grade side wall, and a shock that is valved correctly.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think about that. This by the way is going in my m715 not in my f350, although since my m715 is a hacked up 89 f350 i put it here.

So if i plan on towing i should leave the leaf spring suspension on and focus on really good shocks etc?

I could put air bags on top of the front and rear stock spring pack though. It sure helped my 97 with ride quality.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
diesel4me2 is the expert around here on air suspensions. Chris has no leaf or coil springs at all in his truck. Do a search and be amazed.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought about this in the past. My thoughts were to cut off all but the top 2 leaves on the backside of the rear axle and mount some large-ish airbags directly above the axle. This would let the front of the spring control axle wrap, but give you an airspring with adjustability.
Travis..

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Shocks play little role in ride quality, the spring is the culprit. I have an 87 F250 with F350 springs. I ran it for test runs and alignment (stretched the frame and moved the axle back) with NO shocks and the ride was totally different between the two suspensions, but the addition (and removal on the F250 axle) did nothing for ride quality other than continued bouncing after a bump. Shocks with springs, air shocks, etc. being witheld, a decent shock to control rebound will not do much for a stiff ride, that's the springs job.

I've worked on multiple drag car chassis where weight transfer wins races, and have learned this lesson through trial and error.

I've seen diesle4me2's truck and it is a pretty amazing rig. It is all linked and airbagged and when I talked to him last year, he said he can adjust in a pretty decent ride! He also hauled a good sized camper with it to the East Lake meet last year, so it can haul too! :)

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your gonna take out some rear leaves your gonna need traction bars to limit the axle wrap. I made my own for parts from QSC (i think) they sell stuff on Ebay just look up "Helm joint" I have thought about air ride like your thinking but just havent done it yet.

discbrks

Reaction score
Here's pics of the air ride on my dad's F-Superduty. It might give you some ideas. As far as ride quality... here's an example. Right now, his truck is a cab & chassis - meaning there's no bed. Usually you get a smoother ride with a bed (with the added weight). We drove his truck down his rough gravel driveway and it rides smoother than my '99 Ranger. You could have had a hot cup of coffee in your hand and not spilled it. We we're both extermely impressed by the ride quality.

Attachments

• 100_5314.jpg
    100_5314.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_5315.jpg
    100_5315.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_5316.jpg
    100_5316.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_5317.jpg
    100_5317.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 57

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand of suspension is that^^? I have thought about that set-up before, but I haven't seen one that small. That is a very common suspension on medium duty trucks.
Travis..

discbrks

Reaction score
I can't remember the brand, but I'll ask dad. That truck is an ex-ambulance. The ambulance conversion company installed the air ride. You can see where the took the leaf spring hangers off and bolted on the brackets for the control arms. Its a REALLY nice set-up where each bag has a control valve on top to adjust ride height.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does something limit the side to side movement? That IS a really cool setup. A lot of the versatility, without the extreme make over of a full linked suspension.

discbrks

Reaction score
Does something limit the side to side movement? That IS a really cool setup. A lot of the versatility, without the extreme make over of a full linked suspension.

Click on the second picture... you'll see a green strap. I guess that's some sort of limiting strap. In front of the strap you'll see a white pad bolted to the frame and a bracket that extends up from the axle that acutally rubs on the white block. That controls side-to-side.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. OK, I see that now. The green strap limits travel so that the axle can't over-extend and disconnect from the air bag. The white block looks like a nylon block and their is a bracket that rubs against it. Not the most durable arrangment, but it would work better than a track arm as far as keeping things in parrallel. You wouldn't want to get on real uneven pavement with that set up, that's for sure. Too cocked and it could jam maybe. :dunno