Air Intake Question?

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the air intake once again contemplating the Zigg air intake. (By the way no write-up on that in the tech section?)
Anyway I got a couple of questions - what if I get rid of that flat plastic part that slips under the hood and just leave that plastic tube coming off the air filter housing. Would the air right there be much to hot? Wouldn't this be better than leaving that flat part. I mean at least it could suck as much air as it wants to even though it might be hot? Anyway thoughts, suggestions. Thanks

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pic2 for OB.JPG
    Pic2 for OB.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Pic1 for OB.JPG
    Pic1 for OB.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 44

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Eric I think the colder "ram air" effect would be better than sucking all that hot air in from under the hood. I have my air filter set up (open element) just behind the drivers batt. I cut down my air scoop to direct the air to the open element. I'm not sure if it helped or not but it make me feel better

Attachments

• air filter mod.jpg
    air filter mod.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 61

pafixitman

Reaction score
Ditch the entire ATS air box, relocate the fuel filter, coolant filter, and pass side battery and run a nice straight ricer style tube!

While I'm dreaming I might as well replace all of the bushings and rubber body mounts, Rhino the bed also! :rotflmao

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
hey russ, how does the early square banks intake work? Does it have like one chamber on the top for the filtered turbo inlet, and one chamber on the bottom for the compressed turbo air charge into the engine?

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GRuss said:
Eric I think the colder "ram air" effect would be better than sucking all that hot air in from under the hood. I have my air filter set up (open element) just behind the drivers batt. I cut down my air scoop to direct the air to the open element. I'm not sure if it helped or not but it make me feel better

Hey Russ, actually minus the open air element (I had planned on leaving the filter in the orig ATS housing) your setup is exactly what I'm talking about. Aren't you sucking in hot air too? Oh on re-read...what is your "air scoop" to direct to your open element?

Joe: In a perfect world, in a perfect world... :rolleyes: :D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Eric,

Ya might try something like This.
Yea it's for the N/A gay truck but looking at your duct locations, it appears to be very close to the N/A setup as well. :eek:
Just if'n ya go that route TAKE THE RADIATOR OUT!
Sawz'alls are nasty to them thin copper tubes. :mad:
That way ya get a little cold air induction on top of air being stuffed in there. ;Sweet
Gives me sum idears too.
You must be registered for see images
:Sly

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Eric, not shure if these pics will work, they are image referals from TDS. If not do a shearch in the photo's for my name or Zigg Ram Air installed

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=20963&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=20962&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=500

They show my ram air setup installed. I cut the radiator and support like Rob did but I didn't remove the radiator,...just gotta be careful. I used a very long sawzall blade and went slow. Then I got a 3" x 12" Heating duct from Home Depo, and some 4" dryer ducting. I put a grill over the opening to stop large objects from coming in (bugs, rocks, birds, Possum, Deer, etc,,)

Yoou have to do some trimming and fanegalling but it does fit rather niceley in there, and does make a difference.

You also need some good duct tape,... ;Sweet

I may have some better pics on my work puter, if I do then I will post them.

Later,
Darrin

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ericboutin said:
I was looking at the air intake once again contemplating the Zigg air intake. (By the way no write-up on that in the tech section?)
Anyway I got a couple of questions - what if I get rid of that flat plastic part that slips under the hood and just leave that plastic tube coming off the air filter housing. Would the air right there be much to hot? Wouldn't this be better than leaving that flat part. I mean at least it could suck as much air as it wants to even though it might be hot? Anyway thoughts, suggestions. Thanks

That's the way I have it on Lady Moose right now.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
That's the way I have it on Lady Moose right now.

You've removed the flat part going up to the front of the hood? And you left just the tube coming off the air filter housing? I take it you've had no ill effects from this then. I was thinking of just running like this for awhile until I could do the setup like Ron or Darrin's and see if anything changed...I just wanted to know whether this would hurt anything first. I'm starting to think about getting more air in and then I'll work on getting more air out (also following Darrin's exhaust suggestions)...getting ready for towing the TT again. After we turned up the fuel last year she climbs to up in temp pretty quickly! :eek: That's why I was wondering if for the short term it would be ok to remove that flat part.
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
OkieGringo said:
I have some photos of my "Ram Air Scoop" But I don't know how to post them here. ????? OkieGringo

******, to post a pic, from the advanced posting mode (you have to click 'post reply' or 'go advanced' to get to advanced posting mode) scroll down and click the manage attachements button. Be advised that the file has to be smaller than 195k, or it wont up-load. You won't see your pic in the preview, but it will show up after you hit submit.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
For those that have the big scoops in the front (like the 3"x12" heating duct) any worries about water? Would lots of rain have any problems? I mean I swam home tonight...

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Here are a few photos of my "Ram Air Intake". Pay no attention to the funny looking old geezer(me) in one of them:D .

Attachments

• Air Scoop 1.jpg
    Air Scoop 1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Air Scoop 2.jpg
    Air Scoop 2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Air Scoop 3.jpg
    Air Scoop 3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Air Scoop 7.jpg
    Air Scoop 7.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Air Scoop 8.jpg
    Air Scoop 8.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 14

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wwwabbit said:
For those that have the big scoops in the front (like the 3"x12" heating duct) any worries about water? Would lots of rain have any problems? I mean I swam home tonight...
considering that I have taken all my towtrucks through deep water at one time if not more, any of these "ram air" ideas don't appeal to me one bit. hydro'ing one these motors is a real bad thing. PAfixit's idea of the piping is a start of where I am headed, I already have the feul filter base out of a e-series van and the piping to make it all work. now I have to cut up some PVC pipe and glue it all together for the ductwork from the cone air filter to the turbo. I am going to enclose it and blow a hole through the side fo the fender for a snorkel assy. yup i'm nuts cookoo :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger