Air Cleaner Restriction AKA "FishBowl"?

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard about removing what is called a fishbowl out of the air cleaner on the 6.9 ford diesels

I checked mine out and didnt see anything that was removable without cutting

Is the idea to cut the air cleaner restriction out ? Or is it something that pops out and has already been removed from my setup?

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is something that has to be cut out. Do a search on the soup bowl mod.

Paul B

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess mine is already gone i dont have the bowl on the air cleaner lid

What im taliking about is on the Air cleaner base Its a smaller diameter hole than the intake opening Its maybe 3 or 3.5" dia compared to 5+" on the intake hole

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want to cut anything off of the air cleaner base. Your soup bowl is already gone it sounds like. Mine was gone when I got my truck too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't want to cut anything off of the air cleaner base. Your soup bowl is already gone it sounds like. Mine was gone when I got my truck too.
jd-
he's got the restricter in the air cleaner base rather than on the soup bowl.
yes the base can be cut out. just file down all the sharp edges when done.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill post a before and after pic

I had pulled the lid earlier today and didnt pay much attention to it so who knows it may have had the fishbowl and been removed

I am going to plasma cut the A/C base open then use a die grinder with a carbide bit to smooth things up

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill post a before and after pic

I had pulled the lid earlier today and didnt pay much attention to it so who knows it may have had the fishbowl and been removed

I am going to plasma cut the A/C base open then use a die grinder with a carbide bit to smooth things up
both the soup bowl and the restrictor are spot welded in.
Plasma makes quick work of it:D

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i love the plasma cut i havent had it very long but i use it for everything

I will be using it to cut off the original muffler and install a higher flow setup Depending on my inlet outlet configuration i will run either a 3" dynomax bullet or a imitation flowmaster if i need a offset offset muffler.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah i love the plasma cut i havent had it very long but i use it for everything

I will be using it to cut off the original muffler and install a higher flow setup Depending on my inlet outlet configuration i will run either a 3" dynomax bullet or a imitation flowmaster if i need a offset offset muffler.
chambered mufflers are worthless on our trucks. they're only good for soot collecting. a louvered core straight thru muffler is a better buy for the dollar.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i have both on hand already. The dynomax has a perforated tube its basically a giant glass pack thrush type.

I prefer to do things myself rather than pay a muffler shop high prices to do shotty work simply because they can bend some pipes.

Here is the muffler i have its new never been installed i acutally have a pair of them but decided against using them on my hotrod i got them for

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_17248_-1

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i have both on hand already. The dynomax has a perforated tube its basically a giant glass pack thrush type.

I prefer to do things myself rather than pay a muffler shop high prices to do shotty work simply because they can bend some pipes.

Here is the muffler i have its new never been installed i acutally have a pair of them but decided against using them on my hotrod i got them for

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_17248_-1
that one might be a little loud on a non turbo truck. Only one way to tell:D
besides, I don't think TX has any noise enforcement on truck exh. Maybe in the metro areas but certainly not in the rural areas.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Ended up being about 6 spot welds i decided to go the drill em out route it worked very well except for one with grabbed and went trough i welded it up and ground it down cant wait to see the 20mpg increase:dunno

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
chambered mufflers are worthless on our trucks. they're only good for soot collecting. a louvered core straight thru muffler is a better buy for the dollar.

thats what i did...i figured when the fiberglass gets sooted up, the worst thing that can happen is that it then becomes a straight pipe!

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those bullet mufflers sound pretty good on these trucks. Deep tone, gets loud at WOT, but I dont think its much louder than a gasser w/ duals.