air brakes

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
yes but it would be much easier and a heck of a lot less expensive to use electric brakes to use the air brakes your gonna need something like this on your truck Brake Link PDF

Here is another link that shows the layout

Could you convert you trailer to electic brakes?link also pdf

On Edit: Still not sure if this is exactly what you need this.

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i did some poking around and found out that even with that system you still have to do some work on the truck that includes a few valves, compressor, tank, some sensors, and switches.. it can be done but will take a bit of work.

a vacuum/hydraulic system would be another option if you don't want the electric brakes it would be much easiler and cheaper to install... these people can explain it better than me these are supposed to provide a better whoa than the electrics

aussiedave

TOKEN AUSSIE
Reaction score
to comply with aussie road rules
i want to tow a 12000lbs trailer
the limit is 9900 lbs here for a f350
you need air brakes to go above this

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
ewwww, that sucks, maybe someone else will chime in and say exactly what needs to be done... but i do know it can be done it is just expensive and a PITA

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup,

I cannot chime in any more than to agree,,,,,its gonna be an expensive SOB to retro fit........ is your trailer set up for air brakes?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems weird.
In the US, I've seen hydraulic brakes on F-800's with 30K GVW. In fact, one of my buddies who's an excavator owns an F-800 30K with Hydraulic disc brakes.

Also, trailers can be quite large and have electric brakes. I've seen 3 axle trailers, even 9 tonners with electric brakes and they work OK, just not as good as air. I'm thinking about buying an electric brake 9 ton trailer.

Check again, Dave. The road rules are very confusing. Even most government highway workers & cops don't know the rules correctly.

architect-builder

Reaction score
aussiedave said:
can put air brakes on these trucks?
i need them to power an air braked trailer

No, way to expensive. If you need "air brakes" by a CXT. Bright Red of course.

Barrett

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
You will need to add a bunch of stuff to your truck so your better off buying a 5 ton truck with tractor piping.

You can get juice brakes on trucks up to 35,000lbs they are hard to find but they are out there. The new Bluebird Vision school busses have a gvw of 36,000lbs or so and are single axle with hydraulic disk brakes.

I would check in your local rules I can't see why you need air brakes to pull a 12,000lb trailer. People are allowed to pull 12,000lb trailers here on the grades up to 10% with electric trailer brakes I can't see why you need air brakes.

If your trailer already has air brakes then your SOL you will have to get a truck thats on air.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7