Advance plunger leak on ip...home reseal?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spare pump id like to try to see if it is infact my IP that is causing my cold start issues as described in the "big oil leak into compressor" thread.
It has a small leak past the advance plunger on driver side. Can i replace this seal whithout getting into the rest of the pump and messing with it? Id just like to reseal that, and only that.
Only old thing left on my engine is my original IP. always used to get good mileage and no cold or hot start problems, but this cold start issue is bugging the hell out of me.cookoo

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The O'ring is probably hard letting it leak. No way to get to it easily.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I tried this same thing. Shop told me it was a special seal... Not an o ring and was depth sensitive. Needed special tools to install it. Asked them to install it for me cause I had the piece in my hand. they did and charge was nothing for the install or the seal..That Was a free day and a good one for me...:angel:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill call my local db2 pump shop, but, i read a few threads where guys changed thsi seal themselves and no more leak.. of course those threads are long dead but still.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
foudn a cool pump shop on ebay, talked to him on the phone, sounded very knowledgeable and willing to help, ordered some some injector washers to repalce my buddies I took, the O ring and the seal. I will have the machine shop at work make me a little driver for the seal. Looks very straight forward from the kent moore pictures on ebay.
ebay ID: jbass195

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Could you please take pics and do a writeup on how this job is done. It may help others do this seemly simple job.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I resealed my pump a few years back and it's still running strong and I didn't have any special tools, that seal can only go so far down before it bottoms out, easy to change just drive the old seal out and the new one in till it bottoms out.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you drive it out from the backside? Or put a pick down there and pull it out? Ill take some pic sof my going when I do it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We sell something we call the "Moose Advance Seal Repair Kit" which has everything in it you need, including detailed instructions with pictures. Kinda hard to go wrong with that one. And the price is fair.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, I ended up buying the few small pieces froma dude off ebay and installed tonight.

Does your kit come with a new piston? I see why mine was leaking, it was all pitted around the seal area! so I had to rob the piston from the pump that came off the engine, you can see it has a bit of wear from the shaft, but it didnt leak on the old pump so hopefulyl doenst leak on this one.

Didnt have my phone with me but it was very very straight forward.
pup the E clips off the lever arm and it will easily come out
1" socket on the plunger nut, used cordless impact and it popped right off
there is an O ring there, and a shaft seal, looks like a miniature front main-typical shaft seal.
I used a drill bit a little smaller than it and drileld it out in 3 seconds, popped the remainder out with a hook tool,
popped new one in with deadblow and an 8mm socket, new o ring, put new piston in, bam done, back on the engine.