Adding a drain to new fuel tank

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is question for those familiar with welding and / or metallurgy.

I recently purchased a Spectra Premium fuel tank to use for diesel that is made of Ni-terne coated steel (http://www.ussteel.com/corp/sheet/coated/terne.htm) . I want to add a 3/8-1/2 drain bung (black iron or brass ) to the tank . I wondering if brazing the fitting on will destroy the the coating inside the tank near the fitting . My other option would be to fasten it with epoxy (eg JB Weld ) but I am concerned that it may fail due flexing . Any suggestions ? - Thanks

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
not an expert but having a fitting soldered in would probubly be better. a better way to make a hole is with a punch to so you dont get metal shavings in there from drilling.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be good for your tank to burn off the coating. Why don't you tee off the fuel pickup tube and run it to a valve down below the level of the tank. Even flex line would work. Using siphon action, it would empty your tank as you want. The only issue is you would have to get the tube filled with fuel to get it started. It would also make it easy for fuel thieves to take your fuel without destroying your fuel tank!:backoff:backoff

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with what full monte said, fuel theft is a common problem here in north jersey. why do you wanna put a drain in the tank? going to me running WMO or WVO?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Or you could call an industrial supply near you-ask for a bulkhead fitting it has a nut on the outside and is slid from the inside out.Kinda like a swiming pool fitting.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like said, a bulk-head fitting is the route I would go.

Here is a straight JIC bulk-head :

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/2700ln.htm

They also have these in 45* and 90*, plus various combinations in male-NPT, female-NPT, and JIC.

I have used these before with good results.

You will need one more nut than supplied, plus two O-rings, one inside and one outside.

A welded fitting will sooner or later crack from all the fuel constantly sloshing around and flexing the tank.

This isn't the end of the world for fittings in the top of the tank, as they will only seep when the tank is full, but the slightest crack in a bottom fitting will pour the fuel.