Added 11 quarts, but dipstick says overfilled?

Diesel Dawg

Reaction score
I just changed the oil in this truck for the first time. I got the 95 PSD oil filter to put in there. Drained the oil while hot. Engine was off for 15-25 minutes prior. Changed the filter and tossed in exactly 11 quarts of fresh rotella. Read the dipstick and it is a good 1/2 inch above the full mark! Right next to where it says "Do not overfill!" :sly Anyone else have any experience with this? Makes me want to go drain some out, but how could it possibly be overfilled?...especially 1/2" worth on the dipstick?

Just drove 700 miles, pulled a 25ft offshore boat for 350 of it.....oil level didnt budge, motor ran fine....made me a bit nervous though.....waiting for that runawaaaayyyy.........:sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you fill or partially fill the PSD filter before install? If not, there's your problem. That filter will easily hold 2 quarts of oil itself. If it's dry, your dipstick will read over the fill line until the filter gets filled during start up.

ON EDIT: I see you driven the truck already. The filter should be full by now. Are you certain you only put 11 quarts in the engine? If so, you need to be sure there isn't water or fuel be added to the oil somewhere (leaking oil cooler, bad fuel pump....).

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you know by the volume of oil that only 11 quarts are in there ... So what the stick is telling you. Your more concerned with volume amount than what the stick is telling you. A dented pan could make the level higher but a 1 quart dent is impossible. Make a new full line on the stick and run it. No way can it be overfilled if... What yout telling us is factual. No mattr what... If something was mt and you filled it with a known amount of something... Then thats what the content of something is no matter what you "indicater" is telling you.

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Don't forget to start it and let it run for a minute. Shut it down then check again after a couple minutes

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My owners manual says 10qts stock. Ive never added more than that even with the FL1995. After its been run usually about another half quart is needed.

From my experience its better to have to add a quart or less than to overfill. Course Im reffering to gas engines. IDK maybe its ok to overfill a diesel. With a gas engine if you overfill the extra oil IS going to come out...somewhere one way or another.

turbodiesel94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would always fill mine right to the full mark when hot. Then over time it would push out what it didn't want and stay constant at halfway up the cross hatching.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dipstick is imprecise. Since the truck is new to you you have to get used to what is normal for it and worry about departures from normal rather than the level not being quite where you expected. An exception would be if the oil level continued to increase or if it was well below the crosshatched range. Either of those could indicate a serious problem that needs to be addressed right away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.