Accelerator cable not getting wide open at pump - fix?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Put a new ATP accelerator cable on the truck and with the pedal on the floor I can move the pump lever about another 1/4" or so at the point where the cable attaches. Old cable was broke and stretched and PO had put a nut and bolt on the end so it gave full range. Is that pretty much my options for making this work? Was considering making a spacer for where the cable bolts to the firewall. Truck does have carpet so that could be contributing but it seems to be laying flat on the floor and not bunched up. I guess I could try bending the bracket, but my truck has the huge Banks airbox so that's a pain to get to. Really should have checked for full travel before putting that back on.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was getting slack. It is still original. I crimped a large split shot fishing weight on the cable at the gas pedal end. Got me the extra pedal needed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have the right idea getting the slack out of the new cable. Or try bending the bracket back on the intake air horn or the end of the throttle peddle. Or split shot works well too. I just hate getting under the dash for anything.