AC pump - used or reman?

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm reinstalling my AC system from scratch - pretty much all new components because I only want to do this one time. The pump is the bigger ticket item, though. New about $230, Reman about $125, and used about $40-50. My gut tells me to spend the extra money and get the reman to help ensure I'm not contaminating my other new parts. Any opinions?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a reman from Advance Auto on a 96 Powerstroke. It was $179 reman. Knock on wood it's still going. The old compressor locked up so I have my fingers crossed that it didn't thow a bunch of junk in the system. The old orifice was pretty clean though. They have a deal where you get 10% off if you get the accumulator, compressor, and orifice from them in one shot.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Never again will I buy a reman. We should be able to source brand new units for slightly higher.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I personally would do all new parts. That way your not going to worry about some guy that just repainted something and called it rebuilt or some other odd name for rebuilding something... Like new rebuilt... That one really burns me up...

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 get new I went through 3 rebuilt compressors and still have no a/c

FordGuy100

Reaction score
After spending several hundred dollars on ac compressor, condenser, evap., etc. Flushed all the lines, did everything to the book besides what RLDSL says by installing a in line filter.

Anyways, after charging the system to spec, and using gauge I couldn't get the pressure in spec (now that I think of it I don't think the compressor was actually gone through and rebuilt, just painted). Within a day the compressors clutch was going crazy (it had a metallic click from the pulley being off balance and constantly hitting the clutch plate as it rotated). Two days later no AC.

It was a autozone rebuild.

Never again! Where can we source new compressors?

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Some of the fuel jockeys and jockets don't know its ok for you to pump your own fuel and get down right salty about it. Another I had to tell 3 times DIESEL and she still reached to the gas pump. :mad:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I got all 3 compressors from autozone they all were crap.

Orilleys
you need to get a clutch for it but its new.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_02645_1126426_4380&pt=02645&ppt=C0354

And the new clutch
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...26_4380&rpl=1&categoryRedirect=02631&pt=02631

Thank you!

Some of the fuel jockeys and jockets don't know its ok for you to pump your own fuel and get down right salty about it. Another I had to tell 3 times DIESEL and she still reached to the gas pump. :mad:

Wrong thread bud LOL

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do car ac for a living. New only! Rebuilts are just spray and pray! They usually just surface the clutch parts and paint the compressor and send it out.

I've seen rebuilts full of desicant from an exploded dryer! They never even bothered to take it apart!

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I guess this is really a case of buy right, buy once. I called the AC shop that will be doing the charging and building a couple hoses and they said buy new also, no questions. My local carquest is able to order a brand new compressor for me. I believe they are also available through Rockauto.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Anyone have a idea what it would cost a ford dealer to get the whole system repaired? I'm thinking around 1k+ with parts and labor?

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shouldn't rockauto have one? the new denso pump i installed was 192, no core, and imo, denso compressors ain't junk.
this is on a 93 f250, but they should have a new one for an e series.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Looks like rockauto does have one. It's four seasons brand. 235$ for one with a clutch. No core charge and doesn't say reman, plus is more expensive so I'm guessing it's new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online