ac delco plugs?

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got a set of ac delco plugs in my truck, cause i got a good deal on them , what is the max heating limit for them, since i have a push button , and are they slow heating glow plugs? thankyou :sly

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Get ready for a flamming my friend. Most will tell you not to buy them, only motorcraft of Beru plugs.

That said, I wouldnt go over 8 seconds. As far as fast heating v slow heating plugs, whats their voltage? Normal IDI plugs are 6 volts, so they heat up fast. 12 volts are the slow heaters.

I would probably pull one back out, hook some wires up to a batterry, and test it for 8 seconds. See how it does.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
How much is a good deal? Because i assure you, you missed a good deal....Like Justin said, put on your fire protection suit.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Get ready for a flamming my friend. Most will tell you not to buy them, only motorcraft of Beru plugs.

That said, I wouldnt go over 8 seconds. As far as fast heating v slow heating plugs, whats their voltage? Normal IDI plugs are 6 volts, so they heat up fast. 12 volts are the slow heaters.

I would probably pull one back out, hook some wires up to a batterry, and test it for 8 seconds. See how it does.

What he said ................... and X 2...... Motorcraft or Beru only.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You will likely have some issues down the road. Nothing works better or safer than motorcraft beru glow plugs. The very worst plugs are champion and autolite. They swell and burn out quickly. Sometimes so badly that the heads need to come off to remove them. What you bought isn't much better either. Ebay has 8 beru for $85.00 all the time. A member here just bought 100 beru plugs and was selling them to other members too.... Sorry you didn't ask here first before you bought these inferiour plugs.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
It's funny because OB members (myself included) recommend only running the Beru's/Motorcraft plugs. On the 6.2/6.5 sites it is gospel to only run the AC Delco plugs because that's what came in those trucks...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I would go .5 to 1 second max if you dont want to burn them outLOL

but serously those plugs have a reputation of burning out and swelling. if they do that you can be in for a head job to fix it right. not everyone has a problem with them but enough that i would not run them.

burn time depends on temperature. if it is 50-60 out then my automatic system is in the 8-10 second range. if it is a cold day in the 10-30 degree range i can get into the high teens for heating time. this is with motorcraft plugs though.

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hold them for 8-10 seconds and my truck turns over 1 time and fires right up , been in for a week and working great. i dont see anything wrong with them, whats so different about motorcraft, i mean im a ford man myself but i don see any difference in a ac delco verses motorcraft.:dunno

DragRag

Reaction score
I use two types of plugs, AC Delco's and Beru's. Guess what, no problems withe the Delco, and good success with the Beru's. That being said I would not touch Champions or Bosch. There is nothing wrong with Delco. Frankly, now don't take this wrong those who have already commented about them, I personally feel most just parrot what other have said about only using Beru. They work fine in my opinion, and there are other here that use them also. Like I said a second ago, don't get all hurt about my statement. If you personally have had a bad experience with them then you have the right to say bad about them, if you haven't though, maybe it's better not to add fuel to a fire that really doesn't exist in my eyes. yes I have personally seen badly swollen Bosch and Champions, but never a Delco.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
8g they are 12V slow heat plugs, i used them in my truck before they took a year to heat upLOL

Black dawg

Reaction score
the 8gs actually heat pretty quickly, id hold them to 8 secs or less. AC does make good glowplugs, but like most things these days the quality can vary. I lost a 6.2 to a ac60g, which is supposed to be the best for the gm. in my experience the spade connector berus arent nearly as good as the bullet connector plugs.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My motor came with 7 autolites and 1 champion installed. Only 5 of the autolites remained functional. Every one of the plugs was swelled up at the tip. Took 2 days to get the plugs out even with the motor sitting on my garage floor. But they all came out in one piece. The truck also came with 5 burned up autolites in the glove box. Needless to say, I listened to the elder BOOB members, and installed a new set of Beru's.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My truck had all ac delcos in it. One morning about ten degrees I glowed them for about 12 seconds, and nothing. I didn't have any warning to them burning out. All but one ac delco was shot.

Replaced with beru's, been fine ever since. I would like to run those grid heater plugs in the intake, take some stress off the glowplugs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have removed both autolites and champions....:mad:-cuss They were left in my motor after I PAID a private shop long ago to replace them. They were on the very back cylinders. The others were what I paid for... Those plugs had the tips missing and I didn't break them off. They were heavily sooted up on the ends. Later on when I pulled the heads many of the pistons were dented by something. Probably glow plug tips. I had over 270 or 370 thousand miles on that motor with the last 200,000 with a banks wastegated turbo pushing 12 lbs towing heavy... I got my money out of that motor. I wont parrot what others post but.... I know it happens here lots. When I post about something I try to give some background in what I post. Its easy to get swept away with the crowd too...Makes for interesting reading late at nite....:eek::D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist