AC compressor clutch replacement??

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Turned on the ac today and heard a funny noise. Got cold air for a second then warm air again and smelled the ac clutch. It is raining so i havent dug in yet just unplugged the wires so i have defrost. If the compressor still turns easily I would assume the compressor is ok and the clutch is bad but i have yet to check that. Hopefully it is just the clutch, question is can they be replaced seperately? Anybody ever done this? Is it fairly simple to do?

FaC

Reaction score
I just did this on my wife's 95 Explorer so they may be close to the same compressor. On that one you can buy the clutch separate ($95 @ Advance).

You basically take the clutch off piece by piece. You need to buy or make a tool to hold the clutch from spinning while you take the center bolt out. This lets the drive plate come out. The drive pulley is next (press fit on the compressor shaft). The magnet is last. It is a press fit on the compressor housing.

It all goes on in the reverse order. The directions say that you need to remove the compressor and press the magnet onto the housing. I was able to get it on without removal and therefore not have to re-charge the system. Once the magnet is seated on the compressor the rest is easy.

HERE is the picture that I used. In addition the repl clutch had a pretty good writeup in the box.

Hope this helps...

Frank

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I recently had one of mine go bad (99 F250 SD) I took it to a local shop to replace the clutch & was advised to replace the compressor. I called a couple of friends with knowledge of this sort of thing, they said the same thing. I bought one from a bone yard & works fine. I don't remember why they said not to replace the clutch but several people I put faith in said the same thing. I paid $80 for a good used one & so far - so good.
Some of these guys with more knowledge will chime in with better advice soon.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys........upon doing my own further investigation of the big three parts places online, I've found that the clutch costs at least half of a whole new compressor and clutch together. I guess the only part I dont like is in the description of the compressors they recommend replacing other components to make sure there are no contaminants lurking in the rest of the system. I'll have to take the belt off tommorow and see if the compressor turns. I have a feeling it wont because the clutch wouldnt make such a stink if it were just slipping due to weak contact. I think the clutch is engaging and since the compressor is locked up the clutch makes a big stink.........guess I'll find out tommorow. Thanks again for the helpful replies.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't waste my time or customers money replacing clutches. When they go, the compressor generally isn't far behind ( and if you were smelling clutch, chances are the comp locked up ), and don't fool with a rebuilt, you can get a new one with a clutch from www.nostalgicairparts.com ( he'll either have them there, or he'll give you a number to call for the other side of the same business, some compresors they keep in the custom stock and some in the replacement stock, same company though )for about the same or less ( usually way less ) than the cost of a rebuilt compressor at the local parts chains.

If the compressor locked up, go to www.aircondition.com and read up on procedures for flushing the system before installing the new compressor. Best to take the concenser of for flushing to get everything out.

----------Robert

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Usually when I do clutch job on a A/C compressor I find a leaking shaft seal as soon as I get the old clutch off. I have 2 of the 4 bolt diesel A/C compressors here if you want a cheap option (96 & 97)....I'm trying to find a good, used v-belt style pump locally for a spare for my 91. Think I got one hooked in trade for a rear mount fuel tank I have.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Update: I took the belt off, plugged clutch back in and turned key on, then put switch in cab to ac. I couldnt turn the ac compressor by hand. With ac off it spins freely. SO the clutch still works but the compressor is toast. I am gonna replace the whole unit pulley and all and replace the air dryer. Got a hold of a mechanic who has tools/experience working on ac so he's gonna help. Thanks for all the advice.