AC - 134a conversion questions...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Said to hell with it and ordered a new motorcraft compressor too. Really don't want to do this job more then once. Cant wait til everything gets here!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Said to hell with it and ordered a new motorcraft compressor too. Really don't want to do this job more then once. Cant wait til everything gets here!
Let me know if its chinese. Last one I got from the stealer was the same imported one every other place had.

Grady J

Reaction score
Yup. I've done a few ac jobs... I'll pull it down for a good bit. Was considering flushing the compressor but there is no way to get ALL of the oil out of it. I need the fittings anyways so I'll order a kit.

Did you end up using all 52oz or did you stop at 24?

I stopped at 24 oz, just checked yesterday and my pressures are still right on.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know if its chinese. Last one I got from the stealer was the same imported one every other place had.

May very well be import, however, I'd say quality control is far better with a large company such as motorcraft compared to the aftermarket options.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
China can actually make good parts too. Skf and Timken are all made there now.

Yup. It's all about quality control and the base materials used (which I believe comes from the states in cases of brands like Motorcraft, timken, Moog, skf, etc ..)

With that said, the last few timken bearings I bought were still stamped made in the USA. Same goes for Moog which has moved a lot over seas too.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But moog went to junk real quick. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

No joke. Thankfully the last batch of Moog parts I got in for the shop were old stock still made in the US. Seemed to be decent quality.. and far better then what I could get locally for a reasonable price.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using a lot of Raybestos pro series chassis parts lately and their quality seems to be on par with old Moog. It's getting harder to find quality parts. Lol

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using a lot of Raybestos pro series chassis parts lately and their quality seems to be on par with old Moog. It's getting harder to find quality parts. Lol
Ya it is. Im doing jobs 2x and even 3x before I get a working part.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The condenser was bigger.
Not only is the condenser bigger, but it's a different and more efficient design as well. Instead of the "knob and tube" style of the R-12 condenser, it's a flat-plate serpentine style, so there's more surface area to dissipate heat. I thought I had a couple of pictures illustrating the difference, but of course I can't find them :rolleyes: ...I think the evaporator's also a more efficient design.

If you can get your hands on a '94+ R-134a condenser, your A/C system should work better ;Sweet

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked into it... buying all new.. the condenser wasn't bad but the hoses (which are different) were quite pricey.

All the r12 stuff will be here tomorrow though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726