AC - 134a conversion questions...

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just reluctantly completed my 134a retrofit last weekend, spec calls for 10 oz of oil (i used ester oil) and 52 oz refrigerant. I was surprised to see that after only two 12 oz cans my pressures were perfect and ac was blowing ice cold air.

I do retrofits all the time from R12- R134a and it always takes way less to fill the r-12 system with r134a that what the books will tell you it takes to do.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... new compressor and condenser installed.

Here are pics of the compressor...

You must be registered for see images attach

Compressor is made in China... however it is a legit Motorcraft part with Motorcraft embossed on the case.. MC part number and serial stamped as well. I wouldn't be overly worried about the country of origin with a company like Motorcraft as their quality control state side is far better then the aftermarket.

Hoping to get the evap core and hoses installed on my lunch break... then I gotta pick up conversion fittings and pull a vacuum on it after work.

Just need to sort out why none of my hvac controls work. Blower works but all I've got is defrost at the moment.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only having defrost would be a vacuum issue somewhere. Normally the vacuum line pulls off the distribution block mounted to the firewall. I'd start there then go through the rest of it. The white vacuum line in the engine bay frequently is brittle and brakes.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.. all together and finally charged after an hour on the vac. pump and 1/2hr leak test. Everything is working good thus far. Still need to get my controls working but it cools the cab down now at least.

On another note.. I'd stay away from GDP replacement hoses and the four seasons drier. Fit was terrible on both counts. The four seasons evap core fit ok.. not perfect but doable. If I were doing it again, I'd try and track down some oem replacements instead of aftermarket junk.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I said the same thing about Craftsman a few years ago.........

Just sayin'

Well.. since the oem is now made overseas... not sure what other options you have. its either china with oem quality control... or china with aftermarket qc.