A thing of beauty...

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Nothing like someone else making a mistake, and well, look at what I ended up with!

You must be registered for see images attach

Yup, 325 Gallons of clean, unused, CANOLA OIL!

..and I have three more totes worth to collect!

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy chit! You struck gold! How did you trip over that?

I have 10 of those totes full of WMO.

We grow canol and i always wanted a 2-4ton crusher to make my own bio or PURE veggie with...

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Working at a food manufacturing plant, that uses those oils for additives has it's perks.

Now the million dollar question, how can I get it to my engine without burning up my holley red pump? Maybe it's best I start a new thread on that...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just run it like it is, don't take the "fat" out.(just kidding)
Put a heated tank on your truck, third tank that is. Start up on regular diesel, then switch over.
Even though it's already clean I would still filter it, unless the plants filtering process is really good.(Being a food plant it probably is.)
That canola oil is the top of the alternative fuels, not as touchy about outside temp as other bio fuels.
That amount of fuel is close to $4000, if you were to buy that same amount in diesel. (3 totes @ 325 gal = 975 gals or so mutlipled by almost $4/gal)
Dude :hail:hail:hail :eek::eek:;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
Thats gotta be record.
How often do they make mistakes???:D:D
Would they dump it down the drain if you weren't there???:mad:

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were closer, I would let you use my biodiesel processor (I have a FuelMeister II) ... Also acquired for free :D

I'd take you up on that to get started!

Building a processor isnt really that big of a deal, mostly a couple heaters, a way to mix, filters/ c-fuge, series of tanks, and tanks that can handle the methanol and additives used. I sorta majored in biodiesel production in college so my dream of doing this is probably closer than one would think. I've got this mapped out in my head and the cattle to feed the by product meal too.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
How often do they make mistakes???:D:D
Would they dump it down the drain if you weren't there???:mad:

We don't make the oil. The mistake was someone over filled a transfer tank by forgetting about it, and well, it overflowed into a containment area, and so they cleaned it up, and set to dispose of it. We would usually just mix it with compost material and send it off to the dump. The city doesn't take kindly to large amount of oil going down the drain.
How often, eh, it comes in spurts. This would be the third time something of this volume has happened this year. Prior years, sometimes once, others, more. Collectively I've got in excess of about 1,500 gallons of Soy / Canola oils stashed at the farm :D

I've run veggie oil and Bio before; I setup my last truck with a modified fuel system, and such with separate filters, and three inline heaters I constructed using glow plugs in an aluminum block from the tank to the IP. It worked well, until the trans went. Now I've got my Benz, and my 1-ton and it has has some veggie in it, but I've kept it mostly stock because I use it over the road, and I wanted to keep it simple. Less to break hauling horses, or hay, or what not.

I'd take you up on that to get started!
Building a processor isnt really that big of a deal, mostly a couple heaters, a way to mix, filters/ c-fuge, series of tanks, and tanks that can handle the methanol and additives used. I sorta majored in biodiesel production in college so my dream of doing this is probably closer than one would think. I've got this mapped out in my head and the cattle to feed the by product meal too.

Well pack up, and hit the road! :p
I've had quite the experience with Biodiesel too actually. I had the opportunity to make bio from some of our oils we have at work. Making bio from garlic oil, onion oil, orange oil, rosemary oil, sage, cumin, and the list goes on, then run it in a test engine (a 2-cyl Kubota engine setup on a stainless stand) was quite neat.
and you are correct, a process isn't, nor does it need to be complicated. A simple cone bottom tank, heaters, and some sort of adjuration method. Mine uses a circulation pump that does about 100GPM from the bottom to the top. It is on a 1 hour timer, run, settle drain off the glycerol, transfer to second tank, wash, drain, repeat until the PH is that of the water. If you have access to chemicals, mixing a 0.1% of phosphoric acid with the water helps neutralize the excess caustic in the fuel, turning it into salts which are more soluble in water. Have to be careful though with that, it can mask emulsions if one were to occur. Why it best to the a 10%v/v of Bio in MeOH to ensure you have a complete reaction.

You won't want to feed anything that glycerol. It's nasty stuff, with methanol, catalyst, and soaps. You would need to purify it... heavily. It is VERY crude. I usually compost it. Give it a year in some manure, and WOW talk about some lush grass.
The soaps work great as hand cleaner, engine degreaser, and week killer. (Ask my lawn how I know this the first time I decided I was going to just dump the 50 or so gallons of wash water on the grass)

Jatropha oil looks very promising as a future feedstock... look it up. If you really want to cash in on the consumer markets, Ethanol plant to Butanol conversions, that is the mass industry cash cow. Or build a butanol plant.. or a Biodiesel / Butanol plant .. I am looking for another job.. need an investor or a Plant Manager??? ;)

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smokin,
Is the leftover glycerin useable by a commerical user, or are there too many undesireables?

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
There *can* be a market for it, but in order to be food grade, lots of purification has to be done, PH neutralization, distillation, and other processing. Glycerin is a clear, orderless substance, that tastes sweet, is completely soluble in water, and has the consistency of light maple syrup. The glycerol you get after making bio is anywhere from nearly cake like, to a thick gloppy mess, reddish in color, smells strongly of methanol, disperses in water, but not very well, and I wouldn't dare try to eat it. lol
Other markets, such as cosmetics, can also use the stuff, but again much refining has to be done, but less so than for feed processing.

Another thing to remember is you will only get about 10-20% v/v glycerol from the base oil. I.e. If you make a 40 gallon batch, the MOST you could get is about 7 gallons of glycerol. That's not pure glycerin, about 20-35% is methanol, soaps, etc. Commercial buyers for biodiesel glycerol waste typically want literally tons of the stuff per day to make it worth while to collect it, transport, and process.

There is also the potential for getting someone to take it for free, which, for any business is better than paying to have it removed as industrial waste, but less desirable than being paid.

I have a sample jar demonstration of the biodiesel process... from oil to Bio with samples along the way if you'd like to see that. Might give you a good idea of what is made.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how BIG of an operation I would have, If i could start using home grown Bio in a couple of tractors and trucks I think some of the locals would catch on. I've got some fairly well placed family members that could get me set up and legal if I wanted to go bigger and a pretty good location for shipping out of. I've got one Uncle involved in all the oil seed production boards and soil conservation boards, another uncle is in the house of rep so i can figure something out

Finances are eating my lunch at the moment, In the past 1.5yrs I graduated college, bought ~500 acres of farm ground, mostly irrigated, and leased a ranch (pretty long term deal from a family friend), and bought my own farm equip off the family farm (i was the only one that ran that equip so i convinced the family it should be in my name). Started my own small ag service business too, now I gotta make sure what i have pays its own way before i spread out much more. This one man operation stuff is gonna have to change! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle