A little smokie

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont judge me but I was in a bind and needed a IP quick so I got a Pennsacola pump, fast and cheep.

Fired up perfect runs great, non turbo (my truck is turboed) turned it up one and a half flats before I installed it, can run it wide open pullin my fiver and never gets over 1200 on the egt's. get max boost pressure. 8 waste gated.

Here is the question, cold start rattles real good, smooths out when the time ad kicks off, just slight more rattle than I had before when hot, what I am seeing is more smoke than I had before, I know the old pump was turned up too much because I had to let off to control the egts. This pump smokes too easy, ease the clutch out without givin her and gas and a little black smoke comes out the pipe, stomp the gas while drivin and smokes until the boost comes up but just the least little luging of the engine and she smokes like crazy. Let it set and idle after it is hot and it smokes a little just sittin there.

Do I have it timed too high, right now it is a nickle thick toward the pass side.

Besides a little on the smokie side she runs great, the least lugin and I get lots of black smoke? I'm used to gasin it up to get smoke????

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Dont judge me but I was in a bind and needed a IP quick so I got a Pennsacola pump, fast and cheep.

Fired up perfect runs great, non turbo (my truck is turboed) turned it up one and a half flats before I installed it, can run it wide open pullin my fiver and never gets over 1200 on the egt's. get max boost pressure. 8 waste gated.

Here is the question, cold start rattles real good, smooths out when the time ad kicks off, just slight more rattle than I had before when hot, what I am seeing is more smoke than I had before, I know the old pump was turned up too much because I had to let off to control the egts. This pump smokes too easy, ease the clutch out without givin her and gas and a little black smoke comes out the pipe, stomp the gas while drivin and smokes until the boost comes up but just the least little luging of the engine and she smokes like crazy. Let it set and idle after it is hot and it smokes a little just sittin there.

Do I have it timed too high, right now it is a nickle thick toward the pass side.

Besides a little on the smokie side she runs great, the least lugin and I get lots of black smoke? I'm used to gasin it up to get smoke????

This is probly a more healthier pump so it probly will smokw more, and if its not making EGTS high then i would leave it alone if it had plenty of power and got decent fuel milage

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I aint never had a good pump, one thing I did notice is I bought and sold a 88 flat bed recently and I noticed it rattled along until you let off the gas and she got real quite then re-rattled when you gave it more gas, now my truck does this with this pump I have, sounds just like the 88 did.

I guess if it anit broke dont fix it, just used to fixin her all the time.