a little educational video

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I often hear about folks on this forum getting a crap engine to replace their crap engine and throwing new rings on it and running a hone blindly through the cylinder.... this is not a rebuild and it is possible that this hurts more than helps.

It is also a common belief here that throwing studs in the block is a good thing. This is true, but much like running MLS head gaskets, there is machine work that has to be done to accomodate such things.

enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLjdr2GSwU

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yeah, that is why it is important to use the same fasteners while machining that will be in use for the build.
Using studs instead of bolts (both in the heads and for the mains) will require them to be remachined.
Torque plates for the head, and installing the proper fasteners before honing the mains (align hone) will make a tremendous difference in the end product.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

That place is about 3 blocks from my house. Might have to ask them if they have deck plates for IDIs. Any bets?:sly

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I just Google mapped that joint and its in exactly the same building that ATS used to be in... hmmm

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.bhjproducts.com/bhj_downloads/pricing/racer_net/BHJ_HPlate_PriceNET.pdf
$460 gets you a set. I'd offer the machine shop a little cash for them to buy them.
Also of note, these can be used on the cylinder heads as well (for doing a valve job, think about it, it makes sense).
drew-
I own a few of BHJ's block plates and they are a good product. It is overkill though to use on a IDI head and it actually makes it difficult for the seat cutter to get in on some heads.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesn't reaming the bolt holes help relieve some of the cause for distortion?
I'll definitely keep this in mind too when i rebuild my 'crap' engine top to bottom.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Drew, for posting that video...I wish I had known about this issue before putting the head studs on my 6.9l!

OTOH, my wallet may be angry with you -cuss :rotflmao I've been wanting a 6BT Cummins for years, and my desire and common sense have been at odds with one another for 2 or 3 years now, as to whether I should put a 6BT in my truck :angel: and my common sense was not helped by that video LOL

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I was pretty impressed with the video - until the credits at the end.

High Preformance? cookoo

If they put that much thought into the video, why wouldn't they check for correct spelling on the last thing you see?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, that is why it is important to use the same fasteners while machining that will be in use for the build.
Using studs instead of bolts (both in the heads and for the mains) will require them to be remachined.
Torque plates for the head, and installing the proper fasteners before honing the mains (align hone) will make a tremendous difference in the end product.

Thank you for this video it sure shows what I learned when I was young!;Sweet;Sweet

This video is correct, though; along with that and I don't like to waste the $$$$$ but one should use the exact same type of head gaskets as well when boring/honing an engines cyl bore as the preload of the fire ring also can does distort the block to a small degree. Do not forget that if you are honing a V type engine, then it is best to have deck plates for both sides if possible too. Ya I know $$$$$

If you are going to use main studs, then install them prior to all machining same with heads etc. This is basic machine work 101 that I was taught when I was very young and worked at Okanagan Speed and Equipment.

For some of the drag engines we built (more owner less me), the owner Bill would plug all the core plug holes with new brass freeze plugs, pin them and block off the front coolant passages and run hot water from the hot water tank through the engine bringing it up to around 140 degrees or more if he could. The work was immaculate with the best products of the time, and greatest attention to detail.

Oh those where the days my friend....I thought they'd never end......:rotflmao

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Very true. Sad to say but now days 90% of builders/performance shops either don't know or wont go through the trouble to do correct machine work.
Bill sounds like he had a clear edge over most of todays builders. What did he run?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All our idi blocks have the head bolt threads counter bored 1 inch into the block so.... Whats that telling you. Look closely at the 5.9 block.. Looks to me like only the top thread is removed... I think we do a better job of spreading out the stress over a wider area of the bore and at a lower area too. I sure would like to watch how a NASCAR engine is machined and assembled. Oh to be a fly on the wall in that operating room...:hail There is no reason for main bearing studs in our idi engines. Our bottom end is bullet proof. The caps don't fret or walk. The rpm is generally kept around 3000 to 3500 rpm. Sure, its a lot of mass spinning but its built to handle that all day long too. I really don't know how to improve on what the designers have done. Maybe lightening the crank or knife edgeing it but what that may or may not gain us is a wonder at this side of the screen....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online

No members online now.