A half-azzed Fipple Switch install did not fix it nice

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
1994 E-350 w/ IDI and E040D transmission

Trans was 'hunting' at certain speeds: up-down, up-down, stomping on it smoothed it out. Varying the road speed up or down a bit often smoothed it out.

I thought the FIPL sensor was going to be a bit of a job so I had a friend of mine's shop do it.

Original was gray - new-from-Ford sensor was black.

Replaced in 15 minutes, left the bracket where it has been before, and the truck took off smooth and happy again.

That was last Wed. maybe.

Today I noticed a hint of the 'hunting' behavior at speeds under 40 mph.

What should I do next? <g>

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some E4OD gurus here that know the correct FIPL values. You can probably check behind your friend to make sure he did it right. Does your tach work? The E4OD mechanical/computer interface is the major problem area. To work, it needs accurate inputs from the FIPL and the tach. Anything out of spec will not be good as it is a highly failure intolerant system.

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
Vans don't have tachs

I have the correct values (I think) - we just never applied them. <g>

When the truck took off running and shifting well - I just got back to work. And in our defense: all was well until today. <g>

I was wondering if it could be the FIPL connector or it's contacts going screwy?

In other words: we wiggled it around replacing the FIPL sensor, so it ran OK for a week, but now it's loose, or making bad contact, or whatever, again.

Can not adjusting the new FIPL sensor give intermittent symptoms?

If misadjusted - wouldn't it behave badly in a consistent way?

PHM
------

There are some E4OD gurus here that know the correct FIPL values. You can probably check behind your friend to make sure he did it right. Does your tach work? The E4OD mechanical/computer interface is the major problem area. To work, it needs accurate inputs from the FIPL and the tach. Anything out of spec will not be good as it is a highly failure intolerant system.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The switch on the injection pump is called a tps... throttle position switch... It must be set for .96 volts and up to 1.2 volts... Use a digital voltmeter to achieve this.... The high end will make a firmer shift and to low end a softer shift... Never go higher or lower than these numbers... Lower than .96 volts and the trans wil be slowly ruined. You can't just remove and replace the tps... It must be calibrated for proper trans operation...

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
If you are worried about the condition of the?? (fudge ripple) whadya callit switch - using a digital volt meter slowly rotate the throttle watching for jumpy readings from your volt meter. The meter should move smoothly as you rotate the switch through its scale.

Last edited:

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
Ford says: FIPL - Advance Auto says: Throttle Position Sensor

-
Advance Auto Parts had what appeared to be the same part, calling it a 'throttle position sensor' but as it was half the price I questioned it's source. <g>

So I bought the FIPL across a Ford dealer's parts counter.

Maybe the same part - maybe not. Who knows? And replacing it only reduced the problem - it didn't fully fix it.

Yet. <g>

PHM
------

I thought FIPL was its correct name but TPS is often substituted instead.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Seeing as you are from Jersey -you have "salt fault" problems there also. The first thing I would recommend (& often overlooked) is to clean every electrical connection to the transmission (there are a bunch of them) then coat with dielectric grease. # under the master cylinder,1 on a relay by the left hood hinge. the connector coming out of the PLC and several underneath the truck around the trans. Before using dielectric grease do a final clean with a good electrical contact cleaner that says ,does not effect plastics. Then start all the other ideas in motion. Remember it will be hard to use too much dielectric grease.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I thought FIPL was its correct name but TPS is often substituted instead.

FIPL was the old name. Ford and most parts joints call it by the new name TPS Throttle Position Sensor.:D When requesting the FIPL, you get the two headed look. Just use TPS. The parts guys can figure that one out. Sometimes.:D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
-
Advance Auto Parts had what appeared to be the same part, calling it a 'throttle position sensor' but as it was half the price I questioned it's source. <g>

So I bought the FIPL across a Ford dealer's parts counter.

Maybe the same part - maybe not. Who knows? And replacing it only reduced the problem - it didn't fully fix it.

Yet. <g>

PHM
------

The sensor needs to be adjusted to specs. Be sure to set the sensor with the engine hot.

The last time I picked up a TPS at Advanced Ricer Parts, it was a Ford part.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossviking

Members online