A chance to pull a 87 6.9 for rebuild

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

There is an 87 6.9 at pick a part I could pull minus the IP otherwise complete for a rebuild. I was always wanting to rebuild a 6.9 and this one I think is the last year of the 6.9. My truck has an 85 which has served me well, but this one has all the 7.3 goodies on it.

There is water in the crank case, and it looks like it suffered from champion GP failure.

So I have two options...

1) pull the works and either rebuild or salvage for parts for my own rebuild and scrap the rest (cheaper than grabbing what I want overall)
2) pull what I want then leave the block for scrap at picky. (Hard to see another 87 block die)

This truck had factory overloads, air bags, a jake brake, air brakes and so on and its an auto. (Kinda curious about what was done with the tranny)

What would you guys do?

Oh.. and I have enough in gift certificates to cover either option so its of no real cost other than fuel to me.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience has taught me to always get the whole Enchilada when you can. You'll never be short a connector, a bracket, a bolt or fitting. Keep everything until you think you have the runner up and going good then sort out the good spares and turn the rest into scrap cash. It takes some extra cash to tie up into it. But in the end you'll be way ahead of the game. In fact I am going to look at a 90 DRW 2wd Std cab parts truck Monday, suppose to have Hydro brakes and a fresh E4OD said he'd take an offer on the roller. Good Luck !!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is what I was thinking. I kind of get the best of the 6.9 in a package with a rebuild clause at worst. I'm probably gonna hear from 7.3 fans, but I won't touch a non PS 7.3 because I am terrified of cavitation on the IDI blocks. I know for certain that the 6.9 has lots and lots of meat to play with. So I figure a 87 6.9 is a nice base to begin with.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not bother since its got water in it. Id wait till they get one in that's smashed or rolled

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The water tells me someone didn't take care of that engine. The rockers and pushrods and valve covers will be rusty from the water but saving a 6.9 good block is important too. Might want to crank the engine thru at least 1 revolution just to make sure a rod didn't break and stick thru a cylinder wall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online