A/C removal questions

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
While working on my truck replacing the head gaskets and oil pan gasket today. The A/C low pressure line decided to seperate from the quick connector coupling. Releasing all feon and spraying everywhere....

My first question is this, if I completely remove the entire unit, how will this effect the defroster?:dunno

Second question, How would I go about sealing off the air box compartment?:dunno

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first question is this, if I completely remove the entire unit, how will this effect the defroster?
It will work like a defroster on a truck without A/C. Not as good(no de-humidification) but good enough if you turn the heat on)

Second question, How would I go about sealing off the air box compartment?
The airbox and the A/C evap coil can stay, with the pipes sticking out. If you want to take the coil out, you can, and then seal the holes, but the airbox will have to stay no matter what. You could convert it to a non A/C truck, but the whole underdash and firewall ducting system will have to be changed out from a donor truck-a lot of work.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Why don't you just put some new rubber on the old fittings? It wont cost much, then you can get your AC back and it'll be WAY cheaper than buying a new hose assembly. If you can't find someone there who can do it reasonably, you can send the old hose to me and I can pop a new chunk of hose on it for you.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
:thumbsup:Thanks for the response guys!!!! :thumbsup:

I was thinking that if I remove it, it would give me more room when I eventually add a turbo and intercooler.

RLDSL: I do appreciate the offer to remake the hose.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALL THE UNDER DASH is the same converted mine to ac and found it all out after removing it. Just get the heater box cover, control and vacuum/wire harness.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL THE UNDER DASH is the same converted mine to ac and found it all out after removing it. Just get the heater box cover, control and vacuum/wire harness.

Maybe it's the 86-down trucks that are different. Heater core is in a different spot, different hole in the firewall, etc.