97 7.3 Loss of Power

f250guy

Reaction score
New to forum...trying to determine problems with my 97 f250. bought the truck about 7 months ago, it is extended cab, full size bed and is stock in setup. it is an occassional drive and i noticed that going uphill coming from a stop it losses power and rpm's. it progressively got worse, when started it only was after warmed up. i replaced the uvch, the valve gaskets, and the icp. it now occurs almost immediately, i have not been able to get truck more that a couple miles from home. pulled the oil from hpop and filled with new last night, no difference. the oil is at correct level and was changed a couple weeks ago, new fuel filter, new screen going into fuel regulator. have buddy with with scanner/logger but he is not sure what to log or look for. any ideas?

1994IDI

Reaction score
You might find that your '97 f250 does not have a 6.0L, and the 7.3 crowd may be more willing and able to help you. Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yeah if your fuel filter light is not working your fuel pump could be going out and you wouldn't know it except for your symptons your describing

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
When the fuel pump went out in my 94 7.3 PSD, it severely lost power. I later learned that the high pressure side of the fuel pump had gone out. These are tandem pumps, that push low pressure fuel through the filter bowl. It comes out of the filter bowl and back into the high pressure part of the pump.

Be careful... Since I had no idea what was going on, I ended up killing an injector.

I replaced the injector and the fuel pump, with no problems after that! ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be something as simple as a cracked pickup tube in the tank.

f250guy

Reaction score
Will check these Friday or Saturday, would all these symptoms only happen when going uphill? That is the only time I have this problem. Once it starts the truck takes a while to get out of the shutter and not able to rev but the problem only seems to happen when going up incline, even a slight one.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going uphill or taking off from a start and losing power is a classic sign of a cracked pickup tube in the tank.

f250guy

Reaction score
spent last couple days dropping the front fuel tank, the 5/16 line was giving me quite a fit and a couple fuel removal tools... the pickup tube looks good, the screen is in good shape and not blocked. the inside of the tank looks great, no build up. have to order new fuel line gasket/clamp as the original did not make it through the removal. Back to original problem. i will try to get buddy over to run data logger, does anyone have a cfg file of what we should be logging? he is not familiar with powerstrokes. he has a sct scal II which should be able to log different areas.

Any ideas?

sassyrel

Reaction score
hers one we ran into. yo have a thing called a ebpv sensor--this keeps the gate in the turbo closed--till it warms up some. if the tube from the exhaust manifold, to the sensor,gets plugged, youll think you have a briggs in there--you take a piece of old style speedo cable, take the sensor out--and put this on a drill, going done thru the tube to the ex mani, and crank away--till you punch thru to the manifold-----idling excessively, or a smoking oil burner--will plug this tube

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you put a gauge on the Schroeder Valve yet to confirm fuel pressure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online