97 12 valve skipping HELP!!!!

mudnyeri

Reaction score
just bought a 97 3500 12 valve . Skipping on # 3 cyl. just replaced injector , still the same. valve spring looks good. i know some of yall have seen this before, please help

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Check the barrel on the injection pump for leaks or leaks on the line going to the injector... I had one once that missing slightly and found that the barrel was leaking.... ended up all I had to do was tighten it down - your's maynot be so simple.... but it's worth a look see.

you can also swap the delivery valve between two barrels to see if the problem follows.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've seen the same thing, it was usually a bad injector or a delivery valve in the pump....We chased one for a week, had the p-pump off twice before we discovered the new injector was bad too...LOL

mudnyeri

Reaction score
well swapped #3 and #1 dv , the skip stayed on #3. whats next to check?? could the pump be bad just on #3 ??

mudnyeri

Reaction score
oh well head is off . valves look good , gonna check head for cracks. no fire in #3 cyl . whats the best inj. pump for the money ? BD Diesel?

mudnyeri

Reaction score
ok status report. head is off had it checked, all is good.. pump off and sent to shop. got it back, pressure and all is good, what else could it be???

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Have you had a good look at the camshaft lobes? I've seen some 12V's eat camshafts over and over - don't ask me why....I've been dooped by wrecked cam lobes myself when looking for a miss....Detroit 60 series engines are famous for it with there ceramic followers.