96 7.3L Powerstroke in 86 F-250

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 has the 6.9L in it with the T-19 4speed. I have a donor truck thats a 96 F-250 with the 7.3L Powerstroke and Automatic transmission. All is there but tranny is messed up. Looking at putting the Powerstroke in my 86. What kind of problems will i run into with the wiring? Will this truck run if the AT sensors are not plugged up? I know somebody has done this, please let me know. I have access to all the computer and IDM. Any help would be appreciated. OH AND I DONT MIND PUTTING STUFF ON TOGGLES BTW.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
As far as the wiring goes the best I can say is use everything out of the donor truck. In terms of the transmission all that I'm aware of you should be able to remove all the sensors and not throw a check engine light mainly because the E40D runs off a separate computer to the ECM. I don't know much to anything about putting one of these motor in an 86 but I'm sure someone can comment on that here.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
As far as the wiring goes the best I can say is use everything out of the donor truck. In terms of the transmission all that I'm aware of you should be able to remove all the sensors and not throw a check engine light mainly because the E40D runs off a separate computer to the ECM. I don't know much to anything about putting one of these motor in an 86 but I'm sure someone can comment on that here.

95 and up E4OD uses the PCM to control shifts. One unit runs everything.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Oh man I didn't think about it, but you're right. I did it on a 95 before that had a separate computer. Good call.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So whatr you are saying is I will need to tie two or three wires together for the neutral safety start? Also is this about the same as in the manual trucks where you just tie three wires to one and thats it? I did it on the 86 (lol) and my 2001 when the cold Fort Knox winters were hard enough to start besides worrying about the switch messing me up.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
That is all that will be required. The TRS is the only sensor on the E4OD. Jerry rig it, or use the harness from a ZF equipped truck.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the easy part though, adapting the rest of the cab/underhood harness to your 86 will be loads of fun... May as well just swap the whole dash in.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going to have 4 WD with the E4OD? If you are have fun. Lot's of work. Engine mounts, tranny mount, transfer case if separate from tranny, if not new tail shaft on tranny, drive shafts, Vss on rear diff., tone ring in rear, complete wiring harness from PSD, Throttle peddle with TPS and IVS, don't know about the radiator, if turbo should be, exhaust change Y and up & down pipes, steering post/wheel with shifter, GP controller WTS, transfer case manual or electronic?, under hood fuse and relay box, and prolly other things I can't think of. Sell the 86 and restore the 96.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you going to have 4 WD with the E4OD? If you are have fun. Lot's of work. Engine mounts, tranny mount, transfer case if separate from tranny, if not new tail shaft on tranny, drive shafts, Vss on rear diff., tone ring in rear, complete wiring harness from PSD, Throttle peddle with TPS and IVS, don't know about the radiator, if turbo should be, exhaust change Y and up & down pipes, steering post/wheel with shifter, GP controller WTS, transfer case manual or electronic?, under hood fuse and relay box, and prolly other things I can't think of. Sell the 86 and restore the 96.

Definately not selling the 86 and the 96 is a piece of ****. I am planning on using the 4speed behind the powerstroke. The E40D is 2x4,messed up(hence my first post.) Will be deleting the e40d and using the t19 with the BW manual transfer case. I already have the 3" Downpipe on the engine that will hook straight up to my dual 3" exhuast if i cut the driver side off the Y. All stock drive shafts will work and stay in place.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
not so sure you want a T19 behind a powerstroke.

O and you will need a place to mount the ECM. On the 96 it goes thru the firewall and sits right where your 86 e-brake is. There a bunch of things that make this swap a pain in the ass. i have been reserching it for almost 2 years.

I wanted to keep my 86 interior but unfortunatly it looks like i am going to have to use the 92-97 interior just to keep my sanity w mounting the ECM, making the cruise work, headlight dimmer location, fuel switch location, and a bunch of other things.

Talk to Wayne at elite diesel. He did almost identical swap into a 84 bronco. All he works on is diesel pickups all day so if it could be done i'm sure he would of done it

Black dawg

Reaction score
what bell would you use for this swap?

whats wrong with a t-19 behind a powerstroke?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
what bell would you use for this swap?

whats wrong with a t-19 behind a powerstroke?

He would us the t19 bell as they are the sale bolt pattern as a PSD but with out OD it is not going to like it and fuel milage will be in the toilet

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty tough conversion. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to put in an ol Cummins engine? (besides, of course the standard blasphemy of a cummins in a ford...haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online