95 PSD - Possible Turbo Noise

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck started making this noise yesterday, I checked the oil but about 3 quarts low, so filled it. I was able to video this morning and hope you can hear. I think possible bearings in turbo?

https://youtu.be/4vCwy7wq-sE

Opinions? Solutions? This is my first PSD and not sure if Turbo can be rebuilt. Also this truck sat not running for a couple years before I bought it. Not lights, trucks runs ok, just the noise.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Difficult to discern any turbo noise from road noise. Open the hood, let it idle, take a video from there. Also you can take the air inlet off the turbo and look at the compressor wheel, if the vane edges are all scored or bent, then it's time for a new one. Take a pic of it, post it. Yes a turbo can be rebuilt, suggest it be sent to Conastogadiesel.com for rebuild. Call them for turnaround time. It would be beyond your scope to rebuild it, but not impossible.
This would be similar to your turbo for removal.
http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/PowerMax_Installation_Instructions.pdf

This is the compressor wheel.
http://www.dieselorings.com/14-070-garrett-tp-38-gtp-38-compressor-wheel.html

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should have mentioned to look at the housing along side the compressor wheel to see if it's been scraped by the wheel, if you can wiggle it side to side much, the bearings are shot. Needs rebuild quick before the housing is shot. If so, then it's $1200 for new.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impeller on Turbo is fine. My Flex Plate is cracked, mechanic getting new one and will get it replaced, he will also test the Torque Converter as well and check the rear main seal (replace if necessary) No Horse Show for me this weekend as obviously pulling my trailer is out of the question until it is fixed next week.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those flexplates will crack if the 4 nuts holding the torque convertor get loose. So that's where the noise came from. If your tranny is working just fine, the TC should be OK. Of course, mechanic's are in business to make money.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rather him check it for a few more $$ while he is there than have another issue later. He did check underneath real well and everything else, except the bushing at the I-beam looks good. Get this done and hopefully another month or two get the fuel leak fixed. My Dad is ordering me the air filter setup and I will replace that myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online