95 PSD Fuel Leak at Bowl- Need Help

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My normal mechanic, and a diesel mechanic can't figure out how to fix this. I know it is leaking at the full bowl, fuel puddles in the valley and then out. If I do not crank it everyday I get air in the line and have an issue cranking. Anyone in or near West Georgia that could either come help me, or I could come to? I am unsure of what I am doing in this situation. I would gladly pay someone to help me :)

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the fuel bowl needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Diesel O Rings sells a fuel bowl rebuild kit and have very good, easy to follow instructions.
Personally, I had a leak in my truck that I had just bought and I ended up replacing the fuel pump, the small fuel lines between the fuel pump and fuel bowl, and rebuilding the fuel bowl. Figured I tackle all of those while I was there. I figure my leak was a worn out fuel pump, though.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im in commiefornia, so i can only do what i can while sitting on my rear.

first things first.
these things are super easy!
go get greasy!!!

i would check your fuel bowl drain lever. they are problematic! may be as simple as some dirt in the valve.
You must be registered for see images attach

another problem with these things are the mechanical lift pump, and the rubber hoses.
the best thing to do is read up on how to switch to an electric fuel pump!
you can delete all of the problematic things quite cheaply.
seriously they are not hard!
you have a Ford, so we know you're smart!
You must be registered for see images attach

unfortunately, i find this site to be lacking in PSD info. but its the best IDI forum on this blue planet.

powerstrokearmy is a good one for feedback.

personally i will be deleting the fuel bowl and the mechanical fuel pump on this project.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the rest of the community, drive my IDI, and let my PSD's sit LOL
altho, my van is gonna get some major work done soon!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Fuel bowls are really easy to re-seal. And not terribly expensive, either. I like the kit on dieselorings.com, and do your fuel lines while you're at it. They're known to be quite problematic as well. If you still leak fuel after that, it's your fuel pump, but it shouldn't leak anywhere near that fast. Mine only leaks when it's running, and not very much. Maybe a drip every 2-3 seconds or so.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99.9% it's the two O'rings in the drain valve. It takes a Phillips screw driver, has two bolts on yours. O'ring size 1/4" x 1/8" IIRC. A new valve is usually around $57, if you get a new one make sure it has only 2 bolts, later ones have 4. In a pinch you can turn the rings over if there not to hard. Ford dealer has the rings. If the fuel bowl heater has never been changed to the new style, now would be a good time to do that, get all the parts from dieselorings, dealer will cost twice as much or more.

http://www.dieselorings.com/1994-1998-ford-7-3l-1/fuel-bowl-parts.html
http://www.dieselorings.com/1994-1998-ford-7-3l-1/fuel-bowl-parts/12-001.html
http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/OBSFuelBowlRebuild.pdf

Last edited:

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bowl itself could be pitting. Mine failed all the way through. JBweld and 10 years later it still doesn't leak.

Coyolt

Reaction score
Direwulf23, I replaced my fuel Bowl about 2 weeks ago. No more leaks. Though, now sometimes my truck dies on me or doesnt crank up. I am guessing its the fuel pump. What i want to know can i replace the fuel pump without removing the Turbo. I have a 96 7.3l

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i want to know can i replace the fuel pump without removing the Turbo.

The only challenge I experienced when I did mine with the turbo pedastal on was the banjo bolt on the rear of the pump. It's an uncommon size and a very awkward angle with the pedastal on. 1 1/4" IIRC. The box end of a wrench can be used to firmly move the bolt, but at an angle and moving maybe a 1/4" at a time, probably more like an 1/8". I could only use one hand to turn the bolt to start it while keeping the two crush washers aligned. Patients and care are the only uncommon tools needed. [emoji106]

1995 Ford F250 SCLB 4wd ZF5 7.3L PSD, stock.