95 ps wont start

pdfhick69

Patrick.free
Reaction score
about three days ago I noticed within 2 minutes of starting the motor hickups bad and almost dies then runs fine, its been blowing a lil blue smoke when started cold for a few months now then clears up when warm, the glow plugs are about 6 months old when I did the gp's I did valve cover gaskets and one side of the outer harness, the batterys are less than a week old same as the starter. testing the gp controller im getting 11.5 volts through the controller. I parked it last night went to start it this morning and it turns over like a champ, but no fire. even tried starting fluid. it just about starts but wont quite fire. any ideas? hpop maybe, is there a way to test the hpop? thanks ahead of time

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the ICP, give it 3 shots of glow plug cycle, then see if it will start. While your under the hood, check the tin nut on the IPR, they do come loose, then the regulator don't know what to do. If that ICP has any oil around the connector, it should be changed.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Personally IMO the smoke on cold startup is normal.
Internally your GPR could be corroded, dropping voltage.

You say it hiccups.
Is it a *romp...romp...romp* like a lope?
If so, those are fairly normal also.

Only luck I've had with starting fluid was on a 12v Cummins and even then used half a can.

Sounds glowplug related. Are you waiting for the light to go off?
Try leaving the key on until you see the voltmeter jump back up.
They continue to run after the light goes off. 2 or 3 minutes IIRC.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That voltage through the relay sounds low. Need to measure how much is dropping across the relay. Should be no more significant than a couple tenths of a volt. Does it smoke when you crank or no smoke? Smoke would indicate you fueling but not making enough heat to start. This would likely indicate a glow plug relay problem. If you get no smoke then you have no fuel which could be a HPOP issue. Where is the oil level at? It's easy to overlook that.

Reaction score
It could be a weak battery or a poor battery connection on the battery posts, starter, or block. It may be a bad battery cable if the insulation is damaged or the cable is damaged.