95 GMC ?'s

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I'm posting again for my friend with a 95 GMC with the 6.5. He is a member here (CEdwards) but he just doesn't have time to get on here. Anyway, he and I were talking today and he asked about trans swap options for his truck. It's an auto though i don't know which. I have no idea what these trucks came with.
His manual for the truck says not to use the overdrive while towing and he uses the truck mainly for trips towing his tt.
He doesn't like having to use third all the time. So he wanted to know if there is a better auto trans option.
Also, he said while driving it the other day when he went to start it again it ran rough and then died. Did this maybe four times and then ran fine since.
Maybe the optic sensor? He was wondering about the electronics for the ip, and wanted to know what was involved it relocating them out of harms way.
Thanks in advance for any info.

dracor85

Reaction score
Is the truck a 1500 2500 or 3500? ok well as far as the trans goes his truck should have a 4L80E, in my opinion I would not hesiatate to tow in OD on flatish roads. Depending on trailer size in the hills I would drop down to third but try to keep the TCC locked (helps if you have the manual lockup mod). Now if you are towing something crazy heavy (farm guys with those 30,000lbs hay trailers) then you can throw it all out the window and dont even think about OD!

Now as far as the running rough, first off where is the PMD? If its in not relocated then that would be the first place I would start.

Justin

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I had forgotten about starting this thread! Relocating the PMD was one of his questions.
He isn't really interested in mods that he has to remember to turn on or off, he wants to keep it as simple as possible. He mainly uses the truck to pull their TT to the coast or easy access camp ground. So he just wants it to be as reliable as possible along with being easy to use.

I'll see where the pMD is located. I'm willing to bet it's in the stock location though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle