95 f350 powerstroke 7.3 wont crank

hickersontl

Reaction score
i went outside Saturday and cranked up the truck then i had to go inside to speed up the family and get them loaded and when i went to crank it again it wont even turn over. You hear the starter engage but it doesn't turn over any of the belts i have taken the batteries off and tested they are both good and took the starter in and had it tested and it was good. My next step is to replace the signal wire from the solenoid on the fender down to the solenoid for the starter and see if that works. the wire has some corrosion in it i found this out when i got down and looked and the wire was just twisted to another and wrapped with half a roll of electrical tape.but like i said the starter is getting power and the solenoid is working but it won't turn the engine over i even thought it might be in a bind with the flywheel so i turned the crank with my breaker bar and that didn't do anything im getting desperate...:mad:

hickersontl

Reaction score
no when i turned it manually with the breaker bar the belts moved with the pulleys i think it is the starter even though it passed its test at autozone when it is trying to turn over this beast of an engine it just can't do it

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the autozone tests are not a real test, dont judge by them, i had many issues with starters that they said were good,

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Hate to be a +2 but I have had 2 starters malfunctioning and they told me that they were good. Sometimes the tests at the auto parts stores aren't the best.

Have you replaced the wire yet? Also is the truck an automatic or a manual? Curiosity kills, but I had the starter solenoid partially engage on a manual even though the contacts on the pedal assembly had broken. It sounded like the truck wanted to start, but wasn't getting direct signal to turn the truck over. If that makes any sense at all.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be the thing on the side of the trans, FIPL?
Could even be the ignition switch.
Really lots of things.

Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid?

hickersontl

Reaction score
ive jumped it at the solenoid on the fender and at the starter I even made a new signal wire to connect the two solenoids and still wint crank the starter trys but it doesnt have the power to turn over the engine and both batteries have more CCA than what they are rated at

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need a new starter ,problem is the brushes hang -up in the holder ,little or no contact intermittemt ,with no load starter mat run perfect ,when installed load =no crank power ,remove the end cap and you will find the brushes hung up=not able to spring load on the armeture ,new starters on flea-bay about 80 bucks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online