95 F250 7.3L Intermittent Engine Shutoff/ Stall

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many believe the Motorcraft is outsourced now.
A lot are doing good with the one from advanced auto.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ive been having nothing but problems with thier cps.had 2 trucks that would die with the wipers on.ford cps fixed them.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped in the Motorcraft CPS and on my 17 mile journey home the truck ran smooth. It actually seemed smoother then before, but I could be making that up.
Thanks guys.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Not making it up.you wont notice the power loss from a bad cps.that comes on gradually.but you will notice the increase in power from a new cps immediately.

BamKat

Reaction score
Some quick questions for you all! I am having this same issue.. I have a '99 F250 7.3. It developed a "hick up" and then would shut completely down.

Questions:
CPS: I am assuming you are talking about the cam position sensor.

I replaced the CPS yesterday (BWD) and then drove the truck for about 3 hours, truck ran entire time, with no problems at all. No more hick ups. Then as soon as I get to my street to go home it dyed on me 2x before I could get to driveway. This morning when I went to work it drove fine. Now tonight I will have to drive it for another 2-3 hours... So we shall see.

I just spoke to a shop and he thinks it could be the computer. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamKat

Reaction score
It is widely subscribed that you specifically want the Motarcraft Cam Position Sensor.

O'riley only had BWD. Do you think I should try and find a Motorcraft?

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely try to find a Motorcraft. I got mine at O'Reilly but they had to order I in. The Motorcraft only cost me $5 more, $30.

BamKat

Reaction score
Definitely try to find a Motorcraft. I got mine at O'Reilly but they had to order I in. The Motorcraft only cost me $5 more, $30.

Thank you for the information. I will order one today, I really hope that is the problem. I am still interested in what the "infamous culprit" is...

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CPS itself is the infamous culprit. It is a common problem part and will shut your truck completely down when it goes bad, and there often is no warning when it will go out. For that reason a lot of people suggest a spare be carried in the truck.

BamKat

Reaction score
The CPS itself is the infamous culprit. It is a common problem part and will shut your truck completely down when it goes bad, and there often is no warning when it will go out. For that reason a lot of people suggest a spare be carried in the truck.

Great advise! I will throw that BWD in the glove box once that Motorcraft comes in. Man, you guys are great! I learn something new every time I come here.

I have more questions..

1. I dug the one I replaced out of the trash to see if I could tell what Brand it was. How can you tell what brand it is. I don't see any markings on it.

2. When my truck dies, the service engine light comes on. When I hooked my code reader up, it would not connect. Any ideas why it will not connect?

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Either A. Not the proper code reader. B. Maybe a blown fuse.

The cps is a "known problem" But between 3 7.3's, I've never seen one fail.
I think RiffRaff was cheapest for the Motorcraft one.

BamKat

Reaction score
Either A. Not the proper code reader. B. Maybe a blown fuse.

The cps is a "known problem" But between 3 7.3's, I've never seen one fail.
I think RiffRaff was cheapest for the Motorcraft one.

I took it up to O'Reilly last night to see if their code reader would work.. no luck. I will check all the fues next. Thanks!

This is my 3rd 7.3 and this is the first time it has happened to me. I think it might be good now. I drove it all day yesterday with no problems, I am going to switch it to the Motorcraft as soon as it comes in and throw that bwd in the glove box.

BamKat

Reaction score
Went to O'Reilly yesterday to order the Motorcraft CPS. I can't believe the don't sell it in Houston! They said it is a dealer only part. To top it off I spoke to soon yesterday. . .My truck had hick ups all night and kept dying again. Off to Tomball Ford this morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online