94 IDI Turbo Surging and Missing

banjojelly

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and I was hoping to get some help with my truck.Its a 94 F250 2wd with the IDI Turbo with 185000 miles. Back up to 2008 when the previous owner had it. It would run at the time, but it smoked like crazy at all times. Previous owner drove it like that but got a Dodge with a Cummins and wanted rid of the ford. We worked together and he was having trouble selling it for his price so he told me if I wanted it to work on and play with I could have it for $500. I asked around and seemed like I couldnt get hurt (it has $800 worth of cooper tires on it) so I bought it. I already had two trucks that I was driving ( a 65 ford and a 60 chevy) so the IDI got parked until last fall when I decided I needed a truck with an automatic for my wife to drive when she wanted. A good friend of mine is a certified auto tech and teaches at a trade school so I hauled the truck down to him and his kids got it running. I had tracked down a set of injectors and injection pump from a good running 94 and bought them for him to put in. So they swapped them and replaced all the brake lines and put new brakes on it and did some alignment work on it and when it was done I went down to get it and drove it the 3hrs home.

On the way home it developed a leak in one of the return lines so I got a kit to replace them and just replaced the one that was leaking. I was still having a lot of problems with it taking forever to start so I pulled every injector and put in a new copper seal, new o rings, caps, return lines, glow plugs, tach sensor (tach was bouncing around) changed the fuel filter and engine oil. Seemed to start as good as my dads 95 powerstroke with 230,000 miles. Not in the first turn of the motor, but not after 2 mins of cranking either. The fuel filter light came on and has stayed on since I changed the filter. (it was on before that too though)

On my way to work this morning, I noticed that when i pulled away from the stop sign the engine raced for a second and then dropped back down to normal. It did that at each stop sign. As I was pulling into the lot at work and idling to a place to park, the engine started missing. If I gave it some throttle it cleared up but if i let off and the engine slowed back down it went back to missing. I cracked and bled a few of the injector lines that I could reach without taking the intake off, but it didn't clear up any.

I have read that the fuel filter light staying on is a sign that the lift pump is getting weak, so my first trip to a town with an auto parts store, I am going to pick one up and swap that out. My question is, is the lift pump the cause of my racing and missing problem or do I need to look elsewhere? I am perfectly confident working and diagnosing gas engines, and working on this truck but this is my first diesel and it seems to be a little more sensitive than I was expecting.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. How long did the truck sit without running. You might ahve a filter problem filled up with alge. That developes when a tank is left for a long time with water in it. It very hard to get rid of too. It can be killed but then it collects in the filter for a long time. The filter lite on is telling you there is a vacuum being pulled on the injection pump side of the filterusually meaning a plugged filter.

banjojelly

Reaction score
Truck sat from 2008 to 2012 with only being started a couple times to check the antifreeze level and let some oil run through it. The front tank was completely drained when it was worked on and the rear tank showed empty. I filled both tanks and drove the truck for 3 hours home and the fuel light would come on when accelerating. I ran it around to work and back for two weeks and the fuel filter light stayed on solid all the time. Both tanks were close to empty again when I filled them both after changing the filter on Saturday. I filled the filter before putting it on and it started easy. Then while it was running i bled it at the valve on the side of the filter housing until no more air came out. I don't think the filter would have plugged up in the 5 miles I have driven it since then.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If there is an alge problem you bet it can fill up the filter and cause the filter lite to come on. Changing the lift pump is a great idea. Its tuff to reach that back bolt but its doable with some luck. Make sure the pump arm goes in under the cam loge or the new pump will be ruined if its installed with the arm over the top of the cam lobe. Watch that top of the block machining groove. Sometimes the gasket rests on top of that lip and you never get a good seal. then all kinds of oil leaks. Might also want to replace the short piece of rubber hose from the tank hard line to the pump. they don't last forever. Your in for a dime may as well in for a dollar more. About 12 inches of 3/8 rubber line and two hose clamps and your good for a million miles.. Or close to it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online