94.5 PSD Unknown EEC Self Test Codes

jdb

Reaction score
We have a 1994 PSD F250 manual transmission stock truck. Last week it suddenly lost power while driving. Had it towed home. Learned how to do the manual self test by visiting various websites, e.g. http://www.thorssell.net/hbook/eectest.html.

Diagnostic codes weren't helpful, but from reading about others who have experienced similar issues, though it might be the cam position sensor. Replaced it, and it's now running fine again. For what it's worth, it had an original black (Ford) part, and replaced it with another black one from the Ford dealer. $50 CDN.

Here's the issue from the KOEO test:
1) the running diagnostic code is 111 (no problems) - only the stored codes come up
1) the first time I ran the test, the only stored diagnostic code that came up was 536 (parking brake?)
2) after I first replaced the sensor, it was still running very rough, but I then got codes 536 and 927 (not listed?)
3) after unplugging and reconnecting the wire to the new sensor, truck runs fine.

My question: does anyone know why the code(s) for the CPS didn't come up, and what code 927 is? Does my truck use a different set of codes?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Far as I know, that doesn't work on a psd. Powerstrokes are technically obd2, but early ones were finicky, and cheapo OBD scanners won't work.
Otherwise everyone would be doing it. If you plan to keep the truck, do yourself a favor and buy autoenginuity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94 model year were only 5spd manual and were not obd2. EEC4 was the diagnostics. that may have been a Canada only thing?

have no successful experience with the 94:dunno

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couldn't buy a powerstroke automatic here in 94. if you order an auto you got the idi turbo motor. not sure why this was the case but working at the Ford dealer was interesting then.

I waited until 96 to buy my first powerstroke when they finally started buidlign the F250s in a shortbed again. and Ford Canada only offered the 5spd manual in the supercab shortbed 4x4 in 96, I could not order an automatic in my truck until 97 model year. silly rules as it was built in the Us anyhow.

96 F250 supercab shortbed 4x4 xlt toreador red>silver accent, red 40/20/40 interior. loaded except the power drivers seat, offroad package with frt/rear LS. factory alcoas. I'll have to build one from scratch now? listed at 39,900 Canadian , after all my employee discounts and rebates it came in just over 33,000 plus taxes.

last new truck for me after a 89F150 and a 91250 diesel.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some,not all early 94 pads were eec not obd.late 94 they went to obd.some 95s can be found running eec.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Some,not all early 94 pads were eec not obd.late 94 they went to obd.some 95s can be found running eec.
I've never seen/heard of non-obd capable 94.5 powerstroke. Or is eec what you call it before the flash has been done? I haven't heard of autoenginuity not working on any year. You just have to change a few settings.
And yeah, 94 powerstroke was zf5 only.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Rich is correct 94.5 and some early 95s were non OBD. They had the OBD plug under the dash, but ran the EEC program. Most were reflashed by the dealer so you can use the OBD software.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
couldn't buy a powerstroke automatic here in 94. if you order an auto you got the idi turbo motor. not sure why this was the case but working at the Ford dealer was interesting then.

I waited until 96 to buy my first powerstroke when they finally started buidlign the F250s in a shortbed again. and Ford Canada only offered the 5spd manual in the supercab shortbed 4x4 in 96, I could not order an automatic in my truck until 97 model year. silly rules as it was built in the Us anyhow.

96 F250 supercab shortbed 4x4 xlt toreador red>silver accent, red 40/20/40 interior. loaded except the power drivers seat, offroad package with frt/rear LS. factory alcoas. I'll have to build one from scratch now? listed at 39,900 Canadian , after all my employee discounts and rebates it came in just over 33,000 plus taxes.

last new truck for me after a 89F150 and a 91250 diesel.

94.5 was a ZF only year because Ford was still working on the shift programming for the E4OD.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Okay, so basically what I asked. Lol
I just didn't know it was called eec before the flash.
So that eec method will work on pre-obd2 flash trucks?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so basically what I asked. Lol
I just didn't know it was called eec before the flash.
So that eec method will work on pre-obd2 flash trucks?

I don't know I've always had or had access to a snap on scanner.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I mean I know AE will work on all of them also.
Hmm. May just have to try it and see if it blows up. Lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Haha I'll have to delay it for a week. Got a 800 mile trip coming up, and I'll be towing the jetta. Lol

jdb

Reaction score
For what it's worth, my truck was built in May 94, in the US, for the Canadian market and shipped to Alberta. Assume May 94 counts as 94.5 ... must have been one of the early Powerstrokes off the line.