93 f-250 Ext Cab question(s) and intro

BigNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As this is my first post, might as well introduce myself... My name is Nick, and I live in Western Mass. I recently purchased in May a 93 F-250 IDI Ext Cab Long Bed with 4x4 and manual tranny. In short, if it doesn't have 3 pedals, I refuse to drive it. It also came with homemade ladder racks (sold them for $40), and a diamond-plate tool box.

Since this kind of a humor point with my truck, I'll share what I paid for it... a 12 Gauge semi-automatic 3-shot shotgun, a 20 gauge pump 5 shot, a 9mm Hi Point Carbine, and $150.

The truck had sat for 4 years, with it's most recent state inspection occuring in July of 2005. Most of the truck has moderate to severe rust, but the frame was spared the Northeast's wrath. It has the normal rust on the back sides of the bed, above the wheel wells, the front bumper has a hole in it, and oddly, the door jams as well.

While this truck is a money pit, I love the look of the 96 and prior Fords.

So far, I have put into it....
-two batteries
-new pads, shoes, drums, and hardware on the rears
-new clutch slave cylinder, new clutch line
-all new brake lines, everywhere.
-and changed out all the fluids.... except in the transfer case, and the front and rear diff.

What I still have to fix on it....

- new brake master cylinder (leaking out of the bottom of the rail, there is a screw there, hoping I can just re-seal the screw rather than replace the whole master slave.

- blower motor for heat/AC.... sounds like a train when i turn it on =D... shot bearings.

- four new tires... I want to get some All-terrain t/a, or mud +snow, as this truck will see logging roads occasionally.

- cannot engage 4wd... seems to be a rusted bolt seized underneath between the actual lever in the truck and the transfer case... ain't pretty.

- front fuel sending unit. currently running off of the rear tank only.

- front leafs are not bending in the correct direction, rears are also pretty rusted.... would prefer to just lift the truck 4" rather than replace the leafs with stock ones.

- rear diff cover... really rusted... Jb weld is keeping it from letting the rear diff fluid spill out everywhere. temporary fix.

-after the truck sits for 8-12 hours, the rear tank loses it's prime... no obvious fuel leaks, truck will start, run for 5 seconds, then gets fuel starved and shuts off... cranking it over for 10-15 seconds takes care of it though.

- rear tailgate hinges need to be replaced, both sides.

So, now my questions...

1.i am looking at parts from rockauto.com, anyone buy parts from them? they decent?

2.how can I figure out my tank sizes? I have duals, I thought they might be 19 gallons front and 17 gallons rear but wasn't sure.

3.I heard you can buy just the section of the fenders directly above and to the side of the wheel wells, any particular place good to buy those from?

4.after the truck sits for 8-12 hours, the rear tank loses it's prime... no obvious fuel leaks, truck will start, run for 5 seconds, then gets fuel starved and shuts off... cranking it over for 10-15 seconds takes care of it though.

5. I don't want to go to junkyards, does anyone know of an aftermarket company that proves to stock look of the bumpers with the chrome finish?

I'll probably think up a few more, sorry for the life story, but want to put out as much info as I can.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I have the idential truck, but mine is an automatic.

The 4x4 T case handle is a common problem. You have to take it off the truck, take it apart (gently as they are REALLY expensive to buy) and clean it out. This should be done once in a while to make sure they move freely.

The front springs have a negative arch from the factory....they might be worn out, but they are supposed to bent up lol. I changed out my TTB suspension with a Dana 60 solid axle from a 1992 F350.

Rockauto seems to be pretty good. I got a few things from then and it always shows up!

19 gallon front tank and 17 gallon rear tank are industry standard for our ford pickups...longbox anyways.

We need to see some pics of this beast!

About the bumpers, I have used Pro Body Parts, but they are in canada only. Ebay has some stuff like that if you don't mind the shipping...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
4. check your injector return lines. They are the little rubber hoses that connect each injector. More often then not they get hard and leak, allowing air to leak into the system overnight, causing a hard morning start. I bought a brand new kit from a member here. His name is Russ aka Typ4 .

You can get an oem sending unit from LMCtruck.com they also might have your bumpers.

rockauto is good ive done business with them.

I agree with goofy---- We need to see pictures!

BigNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

that's me

Figure'd I'd show you guys the family too... black one is my mom's, 2000 f350 dually 7.3diesel, lariat with leather, crew cab, 8' bed. white excursion is my dad's, V-10, eddie bauer, all options except nav and second row dvd

my fiance has a hyundai sonata i bought her for her first car, i won't disgrace these forums with that thing though

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
;Sweeti was expecting alot worse shape than that, the way you described it,hell it dont look to bad especially what you got it for.

BigNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem I need to correct, and the most labor intensive, is replacing the cab mounts. there is no rubber left in them.... also, when I go over bumps, the right side of the dash bounces up on and down 4-6 inches. Most likely a snapped mount on that side as well.

I have about $1100 into the truck right now... and I am still trying to weigh out if I want to put the remaining $1000+ it needs into it...

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
i would go ahead and fix what it needs,it beats a truck payment the way i see it,but welcome to the world of money pits,if you think it will take a 1000.00 to fix it plan on spending double that,but hell its fun!!!:rotflmao