92 idi rad

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i can get a copper one today or wai a week on an alluminum
What is better? And what will work?
Also do i really need a thermostat?
My heater doesnt work anyways
Amd also can i use any water temp gauge from the auto store or does it have to be a specific one?

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the thermostat is needed. its closed to help warm the engine, and opens to get the coolant cooled, so i would say YES YOU NEED IT.

I would go with an aluminum radiator (i did) its lighter, cheaper, and from everything i have read more efficient

Any sender will *work* but depending on the one you buy you might have to get an adaptor however. I just bought a new water temp and oil pressure gauge and they came with new lines, and several different fittings to make sure they worked for any application. (i say any sender, as i have only bought 3 in my life, and they are all identical to look at, bought one for a 302, one for a chebby 350, and now for the 7.3, they may well not all be the same across other brands/newer engines)

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks
I just got offthe phone with the parts store and ima just go woth the copper bcits available now and i cant have my truck down
But ill just get me a water temp gauge from advanced auto if that will work and maybe an oil pressure gauge
And ill get me a fuel pressure gauge later
I just needa ge this back on the rd

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my copper one twice and never was happy I got an Aluminum one and couldn't be happier runs lower temp and does well with a load and the watt gauge any non electric one will do

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was very happy with it till it started breaking
But i cant wait for an aluminum one
If i find i neex it ill get me one later and sell my copper on

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do u mean by wat gauge not being electric?
What would i be looking at cuz i got tge 3 gauge cluster from advanced with my oil, temp and voltage by sunpro
Gunna make me a nice dash piece to fit where my original gauges go since the are very disliked an my spedo an tacj dot work
Only thing i can tell is temp kinda and fuel lol
Thinkin bout getin a piece of diamond plate and cutin it to fit and puttin my gauges
When i grt the rest of my gauges and star i will post pics