91 F350 smokes too much

diesoil

Reaction score
In my first post here (and I'll apologize in advance for its length :D ) I'd like to say thanks for the help in the FAQ's and past threads... ;Sweet

I've never owned a diesel but I am strongly considering it. I've never owned a Ford either but I guess there's a first time for everything.

The truck I am looking at is a '91 F350 7.3L 5spd 4x4. It smokes a lot (white/blue) at start-up but got somewhat better after I drove it a few miles. It never completely went away and after returning from the test drive I would say it is more noticeable at idle than at speed.

The seller bought this truck at auction so knows nothing of it's history and suspects valve seals as the cause of the smoke. The truck seems to be set up for a utility company with a fully enclosed storage box (hooks for hanging cable? inside) between the cab and flatbed- to give some idea as to its previous use.

Thanks to searching around here I discovered what a CDR valve is and I wonder if isn't suspect. The odometer reads 88,000 but I don't know how many times it has been around...

It drives nice, goes into 4WD fine and makes no noise when engaged, seemed to start up w/o trouble.

This would make a great farm truck for me but I don't want to get stuck with a project. If it was a GM gas 350 I wouldn't be worried- at least I'd know what I was getting into.

I'm wondering what replacing valve seals would cost and if I dare attempt it myself or other common causes of smoke like this (CDR? etc.).

He's come down several times in his asking price (from $5500 to $3500). And now I am sorely tempted... :rolleyes:

Any ideas, help, input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nate

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
pretty good deal for 350 could be injector pump I had and 83 that smoked real horrible like, differnt pump fixed it right up, if nothing else rebuild for less than $1000 w/o machine work and you'd have really reliable truck if your not interested i might be

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
diesoil said:
The truck I am looking at is a '91 F350 7.3L 5spd 4x4. It smokes a lot (white/blue) at start-up but got somewhat better after I drove it a few miles. It never completely went away and after returning from the test drive I would say it is more noticeable at idle than at speed.

Sounds more the likes of an improperly timed IP.

How quick does it start after cycling the glow plugs?

For that price I'd snag it up if I could. ;Sweet
We can help ya spend some of your money. :D

92 F-350CC

Reaction score
If it is white smoke too it could be a block that has cavitated and is burning water in the motor. Pull the radiator cap and see if any black carbon is floating on top, that could be the culprit in which case a rebuild is in order and you will have to sleeve that block to get it to work. I just went through mine and had all 8 cylinders sleeved and put ceramic coated pistons in it for a turbo when I get about 15,000 miles on the new bores and pistons. John

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I'll agree $3500 for a flat bed 4X4 steal it these are alot easier to work on than a gasser!!! when you get bit there is no turning back!!!

diesoil

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input;Sweet

It seems to be a good deal for what he is asking... but being in unknown territory with both Fords and diesels I am hesitant.

It started right up after the glow plugs cycled. I have a feeling this truck hasn't been started every day (he isn't using it and it's been setting out by the highway for sale) so the fact that it started so willingly seems a good sign.

A big ticket repair would stretch my budget too far as well. But you have given me a couple things to check out and I appreciate that. It's good to hear, h2odrx, that diesels can be easier to work on than gas engines- I definitely like to do as much of my own work as I can.

This truck is in Washington State so hugeredford that would be a fair road trip for you...

Thanks again for all your help. Who knows, I may end up with a Ford AND a diesel and in that case I'll be here to pick your brains. ;p

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any time you look at buying a used 7.3 with unknown milage and SCA history, it's best to figure the cost of a short block into your purchase price. Look at the truck, imagine it with a new motor, add about $3K to the price of the truck think to yourself if you would be happy. If so, then the risks of the purchase are negated and you have a safe buy. If the price suddenly seems too high, pass it over.

diesoil

Reaction score
Good point Agnem...

Right now I can't honestly justify or really afford $6000 for a farm truck though I've spent a good deal of time trying to talk myself into it. :love: It would be easy for me to get sucked into something like this and regret it later. I think I'm better off waiting and getting something I can be more sure of. Prudence sucks. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the input... I definitely want a diesel down the road so I'll be hangin' around to see what I can learn

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prudence sucks, but not as much as buying a truck for to much $$$, having the clutch system fail, electrical system work only occasionally, rust show itself, glow plugs go out twice, front axleshaft break (my fault) and realize the truck is a general POS. Then, have the heads checked only to find one cracked and both in need of a valve job. Ask me how I know!!!!

My only saving grace is that I got a very nice 89 with blown engine, 6 month old ATS wastegated turbo and exhaust, new 33" all-terrains and nice interior for $800

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then again it may need a pump and injector rebuild and run great forever.

diesoil

Reaction score
Petri it's the hidden things that kill you but for what you paid seems the turbo was worth more than the purchase price of the whole truck? Not too bad.

Typ4 I'm tempted by the alluring possibility of a cheap and easy fix. My Uncle is a diesel mechanic, if I can get him to look at this truck I'd feel a little better about it.

I don't want another project as I don't have time or space to work on one- but this was my last project... I hated to part with it. :cry:

You must be registered for see images

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know all about the money pit thing. Bought mine for $2500 and kinda got suckered. Guy said it had a new pump, new clutch, new t-case and new tires. Well he was right about the tires. So far I have put in a completely new clutch, new water pump, new suspension and new power steering pump. I think that the T-case is having some probs and I can't quite figure it out so I am just driving it. I had Mel retime my pump and it seems better but now I think the engine is on its way out. Gonna drive it till in pukes but I am getting more and more nervous about it. With 358,000 miles though it don't really owe anyone anything.

diesoil

Reaction score
It amazes me how many miles are on most diesels, I wonder why gas engines don't hold up as well?