91 Dodge Cummins Heater

MAvTistic

Reaction score
is it normal in the cummins to have very little heat, its now cold here and its the first year for me and the cummins and it does not put very much heat off, sitting still it will kinda warm up but as soo as you start moving the heat goes away. the idiot gage show the motor is warm but not much out of the blower. do you need to cover the radiator up with something to get more heat in the cab?????

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mine will bake you out once she warms up (that takes a while).

When you get moving does the temp drop on the engine?

If so I would be suspecting the thermostat. I know on my 2nd gen it's not bad to get at - I assume (we all know what that means) that it would be the same on a first gen 12v.

Do you have an air pocket floating around in the cooling system - meaning how's your coolant level. Most of the time when someone complains to me at work about not having heat I check their rad level and it's down. May not be the case here but it's worth a look see...

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The Crossbreed takes forever to warm up, but will cook you out, after that.

I would agree with Travis. A system that won't stay warm is generally an open stat. This is also a cause of one that takes forever to warm up.

My big concern is those 2 long bolts that go through the stat housing into the head. They aren't very big, pretty long, and run through water. Not a good combo.

Last edited:

MAvTistic

Reaction score
the engine temp guage shows that it is warm and i looked yesterday does not go down when i start moving, actually with the plow on the front running down the road it blocks enough wind that the temp will go up but still not much heat.

could the heater core be plugged ??????

and if so how hard is it to get out????

Diesel_Junkie

Reaction score
I had a thermostat that was stuck open about 5 years ago. I didnt notice it until it was winter time and the heater didnt work worth a damn. The gauge would show that it was in a normal temp range, but at the colder end of the spectrum. I threw a new stat in it and it was incredible. Temps got right to a much hotter spot in a hurry, and the furnace let off some serious BTUs.

stare at the engine temp gauge for a couple minutes to see if the temp cycles up and down a little. That would be an indication that the stat is opening and closing, and therefore working properly.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a stuck t-stat......could be a heater core..but not likely at all. i'd be getting a t-stat....asap.

MAvTistic

Reaction score
Well i finally got time to look at this, found what I guess is a vacuum valve that does not allow the heater core to get water in the summer, the vacuum line that plugs into the back of this was bent over and pinched to i assume that is was not getting vacuum to open this valve, I now have heat.......or at least more heat....

MArk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7