91 7.3 Starting issues.... Please Help!

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't afford more than the O-reilly pump right now and I need my truck back. That is just the way it is. The truck will start cold, with ether. You can shut it off and it starts right back, but let it sit a few minutes and no go. Mechanic has checked the valve and only fuel, no air, one of the first things he checked. I am willing to take a chance on the less expensive pump, I really do not have much of a choice unless I want to be without my truck another few months.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to find a real mechanic. One that won't blow your engine to the moon by using ether. He has probably caused some additional damage to your engine!
And it does sound like air intrusion to me, too.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok a really easy check for air intrusion is to go to the hardware store and get some 3/8 and 5/16 clear vinyl hose. its like 35 cents a foot. replace the line feeding the lift pump, the return line going into the filter head and the return line going to the IP. Then check for bubbles.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok a really easy check for air intrusion is to go to the hardware store and get some 3/8 and 5/16 clear vinyl hose. its like 35 cents a foot. replace the line feeding the lift pump, the return line going into the filter head and the return line going to the IP. Then check for bubbles.

Thanks, will text him and let him know, I am sure he has checked but this has even him stumped and he is a really good mechanic. For the record, this truck has a history of "oddities" and my mechanic has always figured it out for me. Being female, most mechanics around here think I am stupid, I actually do some work on my own vehicles, when I can. This mechanic is trustworthy and will not "fabricate" an issue .

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck I would say just take my truck and use it and get a moose pump but your a lil ways out

I really appreciate it, I know my mechanic is doing all he can and a lot of times he cuts his labor for me, if he can.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you located?

Someone here may be close to you and can help you out. It honestly sounds like an air fuel leak. The symptoms you describe are not common for a bad IP.

Heath

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you located?

Someone here may be close to you and can help you out. It honestly sounds like an air fuel leak. The symptoms you describe are not common for a bad IP.

Heath

I am in West Ga, near the Alabama Line. Mechanic is checking for air leaks this morning. If not, guess I will see about getting a new pump

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be down in Cedar Town at the end of next month for a little fun at Highland Park.

But, that's 6 hours one way. Too bad I'm not closer, I'd be happy to run over and lend a hand.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its plain and simple. The fuel is leaking back out of the filter and injection pump. Also you keep posting about not cranking without ether. I really wise someone could stand there as the engine is cranking to post what it sounds like.. Maybe its a slow crank that keeps the engine fire starting. New batteries is a good thing. Located on the fuel filter head is a valve that looks like what you use to add air to any car, truck or bike tire. When the engine is cranking press that pin inside it.. That valve is called a schrader valve. Nothing but fuel will come out of it.. If any.. And I mean any air or bubbles comes out you have an air leak issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Here is an injection pump from an ebay seller I have not worked with ever but the price is low. My recommendation is to use either Russ or Mel for an injection pump because they stand behind what the build or sell. They are Godly Honest too. I really don't feel you need a pump yet either but am trying to give you some ideas. As for the nice mechanic chargeing you $300.00 for the injection pump install.. Well thats really high for the smal amount of work. Its six easy to reach nuts and bolts. One fuel line. 8 injecter lines and 2 throttle cables. I think any member here would guide you thru this work or give you some help too. I wouldn't take any fee to help you do this job but I would be telling you how its done so you can do it alone next time. Its much easier for you to ask.. "Is this the way to do something"... Telling you or showing you really doesn't teach yyou the tool use or the job. But some do learn by watching too. I have several utube viedos about the timing and injection pump removel too. Maybe someone can post one up for you. I know the job looks difficult. I once didn't think I could remove and install one but trial and error and this site worked me thru some tuff times... This is why I have nearly 16,000 posts. I enjoy helping others like I was helped. Teaching is easy if you work at it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170782809675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_503wt_734
Well darn... It took me 2 edits to finally get the ebay seller posted for you.. Sure sorry for that...

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yep Gary, Russ, Heath and others on here walked me through rebuilding the engine this summer.

IP replacement is fairly simple. and if you get Gary to help you, you might even get him to time it as well. I dont know any mechanic around here that has a timing meter. Most will do it by ear and charge $100 for their educated guess.

and Gary its 3 nuts and 5 bolts. you forgot the 2 bolts holding the inspection plate on.:angel:

chris_wei17

Reaction score
I know were going a couple months back here, but does anyone know what the final verdict was? I'm having similar problems, not quite to the point of needing to use ether but I sure dont want to be getting there either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online