91 7.3 idi turbo'd , can't find oil leak!

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi i just got my old idi 7.3 running after swapping out my old e40d for a zf and decided to turbo it . i didn't buy a new turbo kit for it but found an old idi truck in a junkyard that had already been turbo'd. i only used the exaust manifold off of the junkyard truck and some smaller parts . i put a .68 garret turbo on it with an external waste gate and turned the pump up 2 flats. it is much more powerful than it used to be but there is a oil leak that i haven't been able to stop coming from the back of the engine behind the intake. when i installed the turbo i put the oil feed line for the turbo on the same peice that the oil pressure gauge runs from , i think it may be leaking from where the fitting goes into the block but i cant see back there or get my hand back there to feel around .

its leaking about a quart a week . does anyone have some helpful input or advice? thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
More info is needed. It could be from the supply like you posted or it could be from the turbo return to the motor. Either way its a leak but not really that bad yet. Probably a mirror and flashlite is gong to point out whats leaking. Any oil leaking from either of the listed places will run down off the passenger side of the block onto the starter. This is the design of flow for anything that drips into the valley pan under the intake manifold.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Does your engine still have it's original valley pan on it by any chance? If it does and you didn't punch some drain holes in it, the oil from the return may be overflowing. If it's ever been replaced anytime after the turbo models were released, then no worries, they superceeded the newer style valley pan for all models to cut down on stock so you would be covered for a turbos extra oil flow through there.

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea its still got the original valley pan on it and my return line is directly under the turbo and goes straight to the valve cover , i can see the return easily and its not leaking . i can't see behind the intake even with a mirror and flashlight , i cant tell whether its the valley pan leaking in the back or if its leaking where the oil pressure gauge goes into the block . ive used thread tape and tightened the oil pressure gauge up but didn't seem to help . im thinking its probly the valley pan but was trying to find the problem without having to pull the intake off.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes its the oil pressure sender leaking. The plastic to metal crimp will leak and theres nothing you can do but replace it. On some early fords there was a required special socket that had to be used if you wanted the sender not to leak... That information costed me three senders. I used pliers on the first two thinking they were defective. Then the old guy at the really good parts house told me about the special socket tool. Bought it and never had another leaker. I don't know what kind of pressure sender you have but its a possible oil leak cause... Kinda a crappy place to install a pressure sender if you ask me... Try getting up on the hood opening and look down in the rear of the block. Maybe you can see from there. Might need a ladder to reach....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
yea its still got the original valley pan on it and my return line is directly under the turbo and goes straight to the valve cover , i can see the return easily and its not leaking . i can't see behind the intake even with a mirror and flashlight , i cant tell whether its the valley pan leaking in the back or if its leaking where the oil pressure gauge goes into the block . ive used thread tape and tightened the oil pressure gauge up but didn't seem to help . im thinking its probly the valley pan but was trying to find the problem without having to pull the intake off.

If it's the original valley pan and you didn't take an ice pick etc to the lower baffels inside the hole where the pedestal /oil return goes ( where the CDR used to mount ) good chance oil may be overflowing out the hole around the gromet. You can get some UV dye just like used for tracing AC leaks and put it in the oil( will need 2 bottles for an engine this size) and with that and a cheap UV light and glasses ( most parts stores have the set for about $15) you can trace exactly where the leak is coming from. It will leave a trail that glows bright yellow under the UV light, just follow it back to the source ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online