90 ford f350 stake truck with 5.8 disaster

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
long story short

at work we have 90 stake truck that cought on fire.. after 2 years of someone else working on it they got the thing 1/2 way running..

now im at it trying to figure it out..

so they replaced
fuel pump
engine harness
and all body parts to make it look nice again..

then i got it running like crap
had to fix 2 fuel injector orings (sliced)
intake gasket that the last guy put on side ways and f'ed up
alternator (not charging)
map sensor
tps sensor

and today it was running decent other then i cant figure out why when you go to wot it blogs and pops in the intake.. but if you light on the throttle it will rev to the sky
so i went out to get another guys opinion about it so i try to fire it up.. no go. no fuel pump worky... so i try to jump the relay still no worky.. so im assuming the new pump is dead(likly not) or the fire f'ed up the computer and is causing all kinds of issue?

the engine light is on and everytime i hook the cheap code reader to it, i get nothing it wont even work..

any suggestions? im leaning computer? but with out geting fuel pump running maybe its something with that wiring but still dont explain why it runs weird once it runs.

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 F150 with a 5.8 and E4OD. I was having random running problems for a couple of years - might be fine for 6 months - then bad for a day - good for a week - then bad for 10 miles and NO CODES. I also couldn't get a code scanner to connect either. When it would run bad, it just might not start at all or it would idle roughly and would cough and stumble if you gave it hardly any throttle. Sometimes you could shut it off, and start it right back up fine. Sometimes it would be running fine down road for 10 miles then go bad 2 miles then just clear up on its own. I happened to find an identical computer in a junkyard on have price sale day in October, and finally put it in about a month ago.

When I took the computer out, I found that the gasket that is supposed to seal it had leaked. The bottom edge of the computer had rusted (although that shouldn't cause any issues), but more importantly I had 3 or 4 pins that had turned green with corrision and more dust and dirt in it than it should have had. I carefully cleaned the wiring harness plug as best I could, and put in the used - but very clean- computer I got from the junkyard for $35. I have not had any of my previous issues since then. I would say it is at least worth unbolting the harness plug and inspecting the pins for dirt and corrision and clean it if you find some. I didn't clean mine, since I had a replacement I just put it in.

If you are not familiar with the computers in these trucks, they are inside the cab behind the driver's side kick panel at the firewall. They install from the outside. You unbolt the wiring harness plug, two bolts that hold the gasket around the computer to the firewall. You have to remove, or at least undo a few screws in the inner fender and bend it out of the way to pull the computer forward and out.

There is also a computer calibration sticker in the doorjamb of the trucks that is a quick and easy way to find a matching used computer. Mine happened to be " 5-64E-R00 " and the sticker just says "calibration " at the top. The computers also have a part number on them that should match as well.

Hope this helps.
Ronnie

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds just like this truck let alone it was said to be an electrical fire and it was right in the well area were the computer is located
I did finally get it to run by jumping the fuel pump all the way back by the pump... But it still runs like crap so that leads me to think the pump ain't coming on because of some other issues...

Thanks for your tips

Last edited: