90 7.3 starting issue, again

wrapllc

Reaction score
I guess I believe it is an air in the lines issue? I checked fuel from the filter, squirted out a couple of inches with fairly consistent flow. Pulled the line off I believe number one, driver side front most line, and cranked for about 15 seconds. Only got maybe a couple of drops out of the injector/line. Not sure if it is suppose to spray out from the injector or the line. Just curious of the next steps. Recharge the battery and turn it over with all of the lines of until ??? Or do them one at a time and do I have to do all of them? tks

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
First question, What have you done to your truck so far as in repairs? Second question, How many miles are on the fuel delivery system of your rig? Third question, When did this all start?

As you can see, we need more information to better help you fix it.....

wrapllc

Reaction score
last year about this time had the mechanic go thru the return lines and I believe he replaced the lines and o rings. He also replaced a couple of the glow plugs I believe. Was having real trouble starting, was pretty sure it was the injector pump, but nursed it up elk huntin and back. Put the new injector pump in a couple of months ago, driven 3 or 4 times, each time getting more and more difficult to start, especially if I had driven it for more than a few miles and it was hot and hot outside, live in CA. The truck only has 125k miles, I think the mechanic checked or test the injectors and said they were ok. So it started before the injector pump was replaced, but seemed to run fine and start fine for the first couple of times after the new pump installed. Now it would not start even with a half a can of WD 40.

I did just bleed one line on both sides and it pumped out some fuel and it fired up for a second but quit as I was tightening the lines.

He also serviced the transfer case and tranny last year. Bought the truck in 1996 with 60k, previous owner had just replaced the Eo4 tranny. The new one went out on me in less than a month but they replaced it under warranty, had no problems since. Only other issue was when they replaced the injector pump the sensor to the tranny stopped working, not sure if he broke it or it wore out. I bought a new one for $50 and he put in for free.

tks for your help
I should add about the only way to get it started before the new Injector Pump was with WD 40

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. When you say you replaced the injection pump I have to ask some qusestions bout that. Did you do it and did you remove the gear cover that has the 4 long bolts connecting it to the block. If thats what you did we have some gear timing issues. But lets leave that alone till an answer. The feed line from the filter to the injection pump has a black seal in it called an olive. Those harden and start to leak. Are they wet looking. If so any fuel injection shop can sell you those 2. They are a 5/16 line size. they are very hard to remove from the brass nuts too so soak them in brake fluid overnite and use a dental pick to get them out. If thats not working fire will burn them out. Just don't melt the brass nuts. Any injecters look wet. The amount of fuel being pumped out an injecter lines is mear very smal drops. Nothing like a gas carbed squirt or what comes out of the bliter bleeder.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. When you say you replaced the injection pump I have to ask some qusestions bout that. Did you do it and did you remove the gear cover that has the 4 long bolts connecting it to the block. If thats what you did we have some gear timing issues. But lets leave that alone till an answer. The feed line from the filter to the injection pump has a black seal in it called an olive. Those harden and start to leak. Are they wet looking. If so any fuel injection shop can sell you those 2. They are a 5/16 line size. they are very hard to remove from the brass nuts too so soak them in brake fluid overnite and use a dental pick to get them out. If thats not working fire will burn them out. Just don't melt the brass nuts. Any injecters look wet. The amount of fuel being pumped out an injecter lines is mear very smal drops. Nothing like a gas carbed squirt or what comes out of the bliter bleeder.

Exactly what I was looking for, gotta love the search function lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online