9" x 7" Large Ford OBS Mirrors

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday in the junkyard, I stumbled across larger OBS mirrors. There were 2 trucks in the yard that had them so I grabbed 2 (1 was busted). I wanted to see how they'd be on my truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

This mirror came off of a late 60s, early 70s Ford truck (with the same mirror swing bracket we have 80-96), however, when I kept searching the yard, I found another set on a 1980 to 86 Ford (it was only a cab). I have never seen mounts like this before. 3 bolts on the top mirror bracket instead of 2 and a little 4" swing away bar. You can see it in the pic below.

I had to take 1 apart to make one good one out of the 2. One of the "ball swivels" twisted right off from the rust. Compared to my smaller mirrors, these things are awesome! I'd like to put these on all my trucks. On my way to work this morning, it made visibility much better.

I searched "on the line" and couldn't find any posts or aftermarket mirrors. Has anyone ever come across these or know where to get new ones? I do not want to use a mirror that I will not be able to replace (or get parts for) down the road or spend days searching junkyards just to find. For example, I need new mirror glass and a gasket in order to make another one, but I do not know where to get these things.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a dozen years ago, my 84 Bronco II needed a new one on my driver's side, I found one made by 'Peterson Manufacturing' I think, it WAS NOT a good design, it was a plastic body that flexed quite a lot, and one day while driving 45 mph, the glass actually FELL OUT and shattered on the ground. I know if you look at companies like Grote, Peterson Manufacturing, even JC Whitney has a replacement miror in that style ( http://http://www.jcwhitney.com/****-universal-oe-style-universal-mirror/p3048638.jcwx?filterid=c3213u0j1 ) You'll find something. :dunno

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to make it even better, find the high mount bracket off of a newer obs, the top door mount bracket goes up instead of down, it raises the whole mirror up on the door and makes visibility even better. I did this to my 84, 100% better.