89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok very small update. since I've had the heater controls back in I've had nothing but defrost. Fair enough probably a vacuum issue. Well I found it the other night when moving the truck. There was a red vacuum line unhooked from a vacuum motor right behind where the radio would go. Now I have vents!! Pretty pumped as it's just one less little thing I have to keep digging into!

- Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok another small update. Yesterday we did some power washing and I washed up all the interior plastics for the crewcab. They had a lot of body shop dust on them from my shop. I also removed some windshield trim off a 96 F150 parts truck my neighbor sold me. The trim is the cleanest windshield trim I have out of 3 sets. I still need to pull the trim clips off the windshield. Then I'll put this trim on my crewcab. I also wish I'd of had this parts truck before i installed my rear window as this window has black trim vs the one I installed has chrome trim. Not a big deal, but I'll probably swap it out sometime.

- Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys quick question here. I need to order the floor shifter boots.

Is this the transfer case boot I need? Transferase boot F2TZ*7277*A It looks right, but I wondered if there was a gas vs diesel vs like on the transmission shifter.

You must be registered for see images attach

The transmission boot is F5TZ-7277-A from the parts bin.

-Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I'm seeing I don't think gas/diesel matters either on the transferase boot, but it does on the transmission boot. So figured it's worth checking.

Did a little more work tonight. I put the drivers door harness in and cycled the window enough to realize I have the regulator in wrong. Nothing a little re-rivet job won't fix. I also need to figure out how the wiring was supposed to run in the door. I definitely didn't take enough pictures.

- Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right for the first time in years my 89 crewcab made it's way off the place. I took it to town and filled up the front fuel tank. It ran like a champ. And boy does it drive nice. I put 99-2004 super duty springs in the front of it with my own version of an RSK. So I was nervous it would drive or ride like crap, but it was smooth as silk. And I don't think I'm going to need a steering damper on it this time like I had before. I also got the drivers door window regulator installed right. I use the 1/4" rivets to install those vs using nuts and bolts. I also figured out a couple more issues. My US gear doesn't appear to be shifting although I can hear the brain box clicking. So I'll have to dig into that. Also my right turn signal doesn't indicate in the cab, but I haven't checked to see if it actually works outside.

Next big ticket is to get the interior loaded in. I have to figure out my shifters first. I'm planning to put a ZF-5 shifter on my t-19 so I can use the ZF-5 boot. I think It will take a little cutting and possibly some welding to get that accomplished.

Does anyone know if they ever put a straight shaft ZF style shifter on the 4-speeds? All the 4-speeds I've seen are the gooseneck looking shifter lever.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck! You spent all that time, money, blood, sweat and tears on it and it's finally back on the road. Good on ya! ;Sweet

I haven't seen a 4-speed with a straight shifting lever, either. They all have had the gooseneck style lever.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ X2. Something you may want to think about, the mazda trans in the half ton trucks had the straight shifter. I don't know if it is the same as the ZF on where it bolts on but it sure looks like the ZF shifter everywhere else. Might help you out or get you closer to what you need. :dunno

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brandon & laser!!

I still have zero interior, but it's road worthy. I'm chomping at the bit to get the interior in it now. We are planning to take it camping the last weekend in July. I should have it done enough for then.

Regarding the shifter thanks for the ideas and confirmation guys. I bought a 5-speed stalk at the junkyard a while back. My plan is to cut the t-19 shifter and bolt the 5-speed stalk on. I think it will work fine, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

I still have to fine tune my transfecase linkage. I have a 89 handle running the NP205 underneath. It works OK but needs some refinement. And the shift pattern is reversed off of the factory 89 transfercase. Still better than the 83 handle I had before.

Thanks - Jeremy

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i dont know if they will interchange but some of the T-18/NP435 shifters were straight. late 70's truck i believe.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the shifters Freebird and IDIOT. From what I understand the t-19/18 are interchangeable I'm not sure about the NP435, but I know it's a close relative of the 18/19. i didn't really want to cut my shifter up until I found some new stick shifts. So if I mess this one up I'll just order a new shift stock.

I did find some jeep shifters also for t-18 but they kept saying jeep specific. I'm unsure what is specific about them.

Just had a brain child. We'll see how this goes. Basically what I want to accomplish is using a ZF-5 speed shifter boot as they look nice and supposed to keep out the noise. I may build a collar for the shaft to match up with the boot, but still give me room for my US gear shifter. Might have to fire up the lathe tonight.

I'll get some pictures here to show what I'm trying to accomplish.

- Jeremy

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i ended up using aftermarket boots. the new thick heavy carpet did not like the old brittle boot bezels...

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well played with the shifters tonight. After welding up all the current holes I started laying out the new boot location. It seems too close to the dash. I think I'm going to cut a small hole in the cover that I know will work and then do a check with the cover in the truck and the stub sticking out of the tranny. The stub is what was left after I removed the rest of the stick shift. I cannibalized the one that was in the transmission. These little details get pretty time consuming. After the cover gets the new shifter hole it's getting lizard skinned inside and out for sound. Then I can keep going on the wiring getting ready for carpet.

-Jeremy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle