89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the crew cab fired up a few weeks back. Seems the transfer pump that was 4 years old with probably 3 hours of run time was bad. I'm guessing all the sitting around got it. I did swap out the transfer valve and now the fuel gage works. I couldn't get one of the fuel lines seated exactly right. Not sure why I'll have to dig back into that. Anyway this kind of let me know I need to get off my butt and get this thing on the road. So here is my short list of items to get this legally drivable. Then I can finish off the interior and other misc. items.

Rear window installed (headliner needs to go in first)
Swaybar links installed
Shocks installed
tail light wiring
fuel fillers installed (need the vent mod done first)
Seats
Seatbelts
Align the front end up as the toe is horrible.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've been working on the crew cab again. It's in the shop and I've been making progress. Nothing really picture worthy. It's all pretty basic stuff at this point.

Spring bolts and u-bolts have all been tightened up.
Swaybar links are lengthened and painted awaiting install
Shocks are installed
The pan hard bar is finally bolted solid on both ends.

Next Item i plan to work on is the fuel fillers and probably the tail light harness.

I pulled my tail light harness out that I had and boy is that in rough shape. All the light sockets are absolutely disintegrated. I've got another harness but it's got a ton of add on towing light stuff. I'll work through them and pull something together.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a decent tail light harness i could throw ya... 14 bucks shipped

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up having a good tail light harness, so that is good to go. Thanks for the offer. I've not gotten as far as I wanted I tend to keep myself busy. I'm working on a 50 ford ***** for my buddy and welding up a model A frame for my dad in addition to working on the truck.

Tail lights are now installed. Fuel fillers have the vent mod done and are now installed. I also did a bootleg alignment of the toe. It was really bad. I also pulled the front hubs and installed the correct lug studs. Back in 2000 when I did the 4x4 swap I needed studs, but the parts store only had some of the ones I needed. We found a stud that was close and it worked fine with all the other rims I've had, but didn't work with factory steel wheels and lugnuts. That is now fixed.

Headliner and rear window are my next tasks. I don't really want to install the headliner now, but I really want the rear window in, so the headliner will get recovered and installed.

Here again nothing picture worthy. - Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've hit a snag. I've got an oil leak that just showed up and it's making a mess. With the truck running it will make a spot the size of a 5 gallon bucket in 15 minutes. The leak is on the right front corner of the engine or the front. I put a fuel pump on it not long ago so I'm hoping it's something to do with that. Otherwise I'm concerned I have a front cover / seal/ oil pan issue. I normally think of main seals as a seeping leak, not a fast leak like this one is.

- Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. That sucks. I wish I had more to offer but that sounds like the area for a fuel pump. Did you go e-fuel? I've probably asked before. The other thing I can think of is a turbo feed or a horrific valve cover gasket.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 50 ford ***** for my buddy and welding up a model A frame for my dad in addition to working on the truck.

im envious! i sold my 31 A 5 window last year :( i have a 42 pontiac that i mounted on a 91 caprice frame, all it needs is plumbing, interior to be installed and electrical.
my 30 olds 5 window needs a custom brake/clutch pedal mount, but ive been busy with my 4 diesels and my boat.
sounds like both of us need to clone ourselfs!

id place money on the fuel pump. if you did use a e-pump and a block off plate the chances are even higher.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah I definitely stay busy. That's in addition to keeping the daily drivers running and keeping the acreage going.

I'm placing money on the fuel pump also. I tried tightening up the bolts, but they felt tight. Next plan is to get int here with a mirror and flashlight and see if I can see where it's coming from. Experience has taught me to always question the last fix. The pan was sealed up a couple years ago and until now had been rock solid. So being the fuel pump was the last fix it's the suspect one.

- Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the issue. The front cover to pan joint has a bad spot in the sealing. I'm assuming the only way to fix this is to remove and reseal the front cover? Better way would be to reseal the oil pan, but that's a nightmare with the engine installed.

Next question I have is could a guy clean out that area with like brake clean and then re-rtv just the trouble spot? I don't really want to do a half-ass job, but removing and resealing the front cover I'm concerned I'll create more issues.

You must be registered for see images attach

Fuel pump looked good.

- Jeremy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you wanna try it, i would drain the oil a bit, brake clean a 1 foot radius around the spot. dry it with air, then get the strongest tape, like gorilla tape, cover the bad spot, put a hole in the center where it needs it, then hit it with an aerosol RTV can,
No I'm not suggesting dukt tape on crack to seal it, but it will keep it from oozing out, and keeping it in where you need it

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aerosol rtv. Hadn't thought of that. I was thinking to put some in and keep forcing it in the spot until satisfied. Using a screwdriver or such.

Truthfully if the front cover wasn't nested under the timing gear cover I'd just reseal it. I'm just not up for pulling the pump right now.

Jeremy

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering how well that spray RTV works, it sure costs a little.

But trust me you'll like those fuel leaks fixed. I ruined my Y pipe because of a leak I never stopped soon enough.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of leaking Y pipe, I was going to attempt to band aid the situation with some exhaust wrap, just for the time being, while it is in the shop with the tranny. So, that's what I plan on doing today unless someone else has a very strong opinion otherwise.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a beautiful truck! Can't waiting to see interior photo's when it's complete... Keep up the good work. :hail

Oh BTW soon as yours is done I'll be dropping mine off to you. :D

Hopefully I'll get my barn built in the next 2 years so I can have a nice dry/heated place to work on mine at.

My wife said I have to keep it for at least 10 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger