89 7.3l starting problems

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok , first off im a complete diesel noobie. i picked up an 89 crew cab 7.3 that the p/o put an ambulance motor in and it wont start. the motor ran in the ambulance from what he says. my problem is im not getting enough fuel to the injectors. i have bypassed the complete fuel system and i have an electric facet pump going directly to the i/p from a 5 gallon can full of diesel.

i cracked the lines at the injectors and cranked to bleed them and when i do it seems like there isnt enough fuel flowing. its just moist, not really spraying like i thought it should. a buddy of mine said they wont spray but they should have a nice drip. from what i can tell it doesnt look like they are dripping, just a bit moist. the engine is cranking over fine i have new batteries/cables and a new starter from advance. i only crank about 10 sec and let it sit for a min or 2 at a time.

i read this

http://www.dieselcare.net/db2_NOSTART.pdf

and the one thing i read was the i/p return line should have a steady stream comming out. mine is nothing more than a drip drip drip. im really thinking its the dang i/p from what im reading. any insight or coaching is greatly appreciated. i am no way a noob to mechanics , i have built several toyota rock crawlers and jeeps its just these diesels are something new to me, the simplicity is something i like but for being so simple this dad gummed thing is frustrating me! help!
:dunno

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well good news, i had 2 brand new napa industrial/comercial size 31p batteries that the p/o swapped out as part of the deal when i bought the truck. they list at 910 ca 830 cca. well turns out those batteries suck ass! i had them charge for like 3 days on my 6 amp charger a few times and they would start off great but only crank hard for maybe 10 sec then start to drag hard.

so today i went to advance and picked up 2 autocraft titanium 1000ca batteries and slapped those suckers in. wow let me tell ya, HUGE difference. the truck would actually crank , HARD! (registered like 700 rpm or more on the tach, not sure if that accurate?) so after i cranked it for about 10 sec it started to hit. i let it rest a few sec and hit it again for about 5 sec and it actually fired up , idled rough and started to stream fuel out of the return port and then som air ran oit and it smoothed out and idled like a champ. this was teh first time this engine busted fuel in 4 years! i filled the rad and found a huge leak so im going to grab the one from the parts truck and a few other things and hopefully get this sucker on the road. no telling what else ill find though. the previous owner had no business owning such a good truck that he absolutly ruined!!! i look at the bright side though, at least when i get done ill have the exact truck ive always wanted!

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
good to hear, make sure you are putting in a diesel radiator not something smaller.

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thx. the rad is in a 90 diesel parts truck i bought cheap. its a 2wd auto ex cab. will it be different than my 89 4x4 zf5?

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
no should be the same, i think the earlier 6.9s used a wider radiator that works but wont bolt right in. actually im not sure maybe someone else will know or you could look but there might be a built in trans fluid cooler in it for the auto. Either way though it should still be fine.

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no built in tranny cooler, its seperate in front of the a/c condensor. since your sort of local , if you know of anybody looking for a e4od diesel 2wd tranny that was rebuilt 20k miles ago let me know. i have no use for it and would let it go cheap. would be a great spare.

ill have a crapload of parts too. prob just gonna strip it down since im gonna have to rob a bunch of stuff from it.

i need a good set of 16" 8 lug wheels if you know any.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
no I dont know anyone that needs a new trans for a diesel. if you search google for chucks trucks forum there is a for sale there and mainly florida people so you might be able to get it sold on there.

I am keeping my eye out for some nicer rims too iv got the stock steel ones on my diesel. Wish I could find some cheap factory alcoas off an obs psd.

Does the parts truck you have, have a wood trim interior, im looking for the panel around the lights and wiper switch. also the bracket that goes from the fuel filter head to i think the block. If you have those i would be interested.

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got some 16.5" alcoas on this one. i wanna go down to a 16" and order some new load range e nitto dune grapplers. i woudl trade these alcoas for some decent 16"

im familiar with chucks trucks. what a bunch of dip's...:rotflmao

sad thing is i may end up being able to trade these 16.5's for some 16" on there... i just hate dealing with some of those kids over there.

on the parts you need
actually i need all of that too, this one was gutted and the engine was from an ambulance and it has the filter on the drivers side but it wont fit with the air breather from the truck engine. plus the steering column is hosed up on the crew cab so may end up having to use the one in the parts truck too.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
haha yeah there is so much BS on that forum to sort threw anything useful. No big deal I dont know about up there but down here its impossible to find an idi in the junk yards let alone one that wasnt picked apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle