89 460 in a 95 F350 with 5.8

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
I looking at a 89 490 out of a F350 to swap into my 95 F350 that has 5.8(351) in it now.I woundering what problems I would run into with this swap.
Are the wireing harneses the same for the EFI?I know I will new a differant ECM and a differant trans.I'm going to try and get as much as I can think I will need off the doner truck.

Thanks for your help

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wireing harness completely different plugs, pins,ecm,switches,you will have to take the complete wireing ,dash,heater switches,tank switch,fuel sender plugs different,trans wires different,steering column wireing different

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
Would be easyer to make changes to the engine insted of rewireing the whole truck?
If so what changes would I have to make?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Lots of probs there. What about just usin a carb set up on yer 460 in the new truck? Save ya alot of heartache. I like the projects you are doin! Especially the 7.3 military truck. Gotta post pics of that beast!!

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
As I understand it, it would be illegal to put the older engine in the newer truck. I think that is stupid, but I don't thing you could get it inspected. That is, if they do safety or emissions testing where you are.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, it would be illegal to put the older engine in the newer truck. I think that is stupid, but I don't thing you could get it inspected. That is, if they do safety or emissions testing where you are.

as long as it passes the same emissions for the year model of the vehicle the fuel system shouldnt matter, also a 460 was an option in 95 so that shouldnt be a problem. but just putting a carb on a efi 460 isnt as easy and just putting a intake on it, the heads match the intake, which means you will have to change the heads if you change it to carb.
that is unless you buy one of those carb adapters for the efi intake.

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
I don't have to worry about emossion testing in my area.I live in a rual part of Wisconsin.
I would like to keep the EFI.
Thanks for all the replies

dieselM715

Feep builder
Reaction score
Lots of probs there. What about just usin a carb set up on yer 460 in the new truck? Save ya alot of heartache. I like the projects you are doin! Especially the 7.3 military truck. Gotta post pics of that beast!!

I M715 I'm building looks like the one in my avatar.Thats the one I had a few years ago.It had a 390/4spd running on 40" groung hawgs.