87 f250 4x4

f350

Reaction score
Ok well its been a long time since i have been on here! Wel in march i sold my w250 diesel to ge another truck of mine running, and well i have been thinking about getting another diesel. And i found a 87 f250 diesel 4x4, the guy wants 2000 and it has a brand new 7.3 with a turbo and new tranny. He said the transfer case pops out of gear sometimes?? Well i have a few questions about this truck.

1. Can i turn the pump up on this truck like i did on my cummins?
2. Is 3 inch straight piipe good for this truck?
3. I was lookin at stage 1 injectors for this truck are they a good investmant?
4. How much will this truck smoke if i turned the pump up and the stage 1 injector with 3 inch straight pipe?
5. What kind of tranny would this truck have i believe its an auto
6. I want to put 36 military tires on it will they be to ******* it with this combo

O and i also have pyro and boost gage for it already i have had sitting
around im going to install

Thanks Jon

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. yes
2. or larger
3. I would think so but don't have any experience with them. I know that injectors that are pressure matched and functioning properly are very important for performance.
4. how much smoke do you want?
5. C-6 3 speed automatic
6. Depends on the gear ratio of the differentials. The diesel can handle the tires even at 3.54 ratio because of the torque ratings. The transmission is very stout but could probably benefit from an external transmission cooler. The gears would be at risk of breaking under stress if they were 3.54. Gears in the 4.00 range would be optimal or keeping your foot out of the throttle which would in turn help fuel mileage as well

Last edited:

f350

Reaction score
As far as smoke goes umm i would like alot well enough to were i cant see the car behind me if possible or maybe a good cloud and i was thinking of putting 4 inch stacks on it thank you for the info

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can make a lot of smoke if you want to. You definitely need the pyro and boost gauge if you turn that pump up especially. If you mean the DPS stage 1 injectors, I'm not so sure that they are a good idea. Ken is definitely talented but his customer service leaves a lot to be desired, whether that's because he's dishonest or just slow and overworked is up to you to decide. I'll say that when I finally got my turbo back from him I was very happy with his work but it took almost 4 months to get it back! I think one of his DPS pumps, one of Mel's Moose pumps or if you have a good diesel shop which builds DB2 pumps and has some tractor pull experience, a custom "hot" pump with new stock BB or G injectors would be hard to beat. You do that and you'll get more smoke than you could want and more boost than is safe for a stock IDI. An intercooler would let you push the envelope a bit more. It won't be like your Cummins especially if it was turned up but it will be a lot better than a stock IDI.