87 6.9 new and strange noise

keithwld

Reaction score
I have an 87 f250 4x4 6.9 with ATS turbo. I have been getting a strange noise once in awhile that has me baffled. The truck runs fine everything works but some times when I shut it off and start to walk away I get a loud bang noise as if something that has been stuck is letting go. Seems to be coming from the front of the truck or maybe the trans area. It just started doing it in the last day or so. When I stop I let it run for a few seconds and check the EGT to see if it is somewhat cool before I shut it off. Other than cleaning up some trailer wiring I have not done anything out of the ordinary to it lately. Any one have any ideas. Keith

keithwld

Reaction score
Never mind I just figured it out after sitting here and typing this It is the emergency brake letting go. I stop the truck step on the emergency brake and get out of the truck and as I walk away the brake lets go from the palls and comes to the top. I just looked and that is what is happening. I feel kinda stupid but that is better than having a problem with something else. Keith

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad its something simple. This forum has found out letting the parking brake peddle fly up and hit the stops breaks loose some solder joints to either the light switch or the windshield switch. Its best to apply you foot to the peddle and ease it up to the top. Sounds better too.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't have issues with solder joints yet, but I found its a good way to kill the courtesy light over the driver's side kick panel. I definitely prefer the soft release method.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems to be a ford signature.
on my 3rd brick nose and every one of the e-brakes does this

keithwld

Reaction score
I finally got around to fixing my ebrake pedal and I think I know why the earlier ones have a tendency to slip when applied. I had a 1990 F250 before and never had this problem so I went to the junk yard and took an ebrake off of a 90 and took it home. When I took mine off I noticed that the only thing holding it in gear with the ratchet was the spring that is mounted on the release handle. This spring is pretty weak to say the least. The one from the 90 had another clock spring added to the ratchet lever to hold it in gear,otherwise it was identical to mine. I guess Ford knew the problem and fixed it in 1990. Mine is working good now.